• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger LH spindle- part, parts inquiry and Part#

dbuser2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in great dire need of a OEM LH wheel spindle for my 1987 Ford Ranger. I'm at my wits end locating one and even trying to do a informative search to know I'm doing a through search on the internet. I need to know for sure what year models the part covers and the part numbers the part goes by as those change over the years. I've not found a reliable source I can trust for part numbers much less know I'll be getting a decent part. Used parts even quoted as good can be quite worn. So that is subjective. I've looked at the exploded view in the technical section of this site where it shows the 1983-1992 radius arm. But that doesn't mean the spindle is the same for that model range. I've "heard" that the 1983-1988 models were the same. But don't know that to be 100% sure. I have every known book on this truck I can think of ; Service manual, Shop Supplement manual, Owners manual, Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting manual, and Engine/Emmisions Diagnosis, etc. But I do not have a truck parts list manual. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. Especially if anyone has a "good" one to sell.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I don't think that the spindles changed from 83-94, Rangers, BroncoII's and Explorers except for 2 and 4 wheel drive?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Is this a 2wd or 4wd truck? If it's 2wd you'll need the whole knuckle... 4x4, 83-89 will be the years you're after, you have a Dana 28 axle. 90 and up will have a Dana 35 axle and the spindles from those will not fit your truck (although you can swap the entire axle from a newer truck into yours, assuming the gear ratio is the same.)

This is what you would need for a 4x4 truck although I think the price is pretty high for a used part:

dbuser2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, I failed to mention the truck is 2WD. I did find out the part number is E9TZ3106B for the LH, Driver side. I found an online parts place that allowed me to plug in the various years for the Ranger model starting with 87 showing that part number for each model year. But it is cumbersome in filling out the parts search. That part number is good for 83 to 92 even though it stated each time that the part is no longer available. So the parts diagram on this TRS site here is apparently correct as stated on the bottom of the diagram. Not sure about 93 and above. The site would not bring up any diagram for them. So this should help someone in the future. Used auto parts are subjective in quality and wear. Does anyone know of a parts number catalog or if there is a decent online "parts reference search index"? to make finding parts a lot easier. Something that would not only tell me the part numbers, but all the model years the part numbers are used. If anyone knows of one, please share. But life isn't always simple. Thanks, for all your help.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Often you can find such a parts interchange catalog at NAPA... Carquest, Pronto and some of the smaller chains might still have catalogs too. Autozone and O'Reilly will not be very helpful.

I think the problem you may run into is that there may have never been an aftermarket supplier for that part so it's possible that the Ford part number you found is the ONLY one. You need the whole knuckle...the spindle is part of it and cannot be removed.

I imagine there may be a NOS part floating around somewhere. eBay is a good resource but there are none listed right now. Personally I would start hitting up junkyards... you'll be looking for one that doesn't have any grooves in the spindle surface where the bearings ride. It's tough to find parts for 2wd trucks these days - a lot of the older Rangers that are still on the road are 4x4s, at least up here.

Not sure if 93-97 knuckles will work. Somewhere in there, ABS sensors were added and then bolt on brake calipers after that. 93-94 might be a second option but you will have to compare the knuckle to what you have now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals