• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger HELP ME

Ranger Man87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1987 ford ranger 2.3L 4cyl

Its my first truck and it needed all new head gaskets, dist cap, sparks,wires, air filt, and a few small things.

i replaced all of that.

i drove it for 2 months and the transmission is like:

1. Start car go in drive, moves till i let off gas and then i push gas again and it just revs like in nuteral.

2. After a min it goes back into drive and then may work for a mile or two and bam does it again

PLEASE TELL ME ITS AN EASY FIX IM TRYING TO TRADE IT FOR A BETTER CAR

Help meeeee! Thanks for reading!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
It will be hard to tell unless I was there to inspect it. Do you see any leaks by the trans? I would do a total trans flush and that includes draining the torque converter as well and replace the fluid/filter. If you can't do it yourself, take it to a shop and have them look at it. I get my trans done at Goodyear when the service is needed. They charge me like $79 for a complete fluid flush service and an oil change and lube job. I used to do it myself but it is more convenient for me to take it there and I don't have to dispose of the fluids like I used to...like take the fluids to a recycle place. Man!! The first time a spilled a few quarts of oil in my garage I was so peeved. Ane then....I did it again the next service I did to my trucks...oil and trans fluid all over the place....I stepped right in the oil pan and whooosh...all over the place.....lol

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
First make sure your trans has fluid in it. Have you pulled the dipstick on it? When the fluid gets low it can short shift or not shift.
Next I would check the linkage to make sure it is going all the way into drive. Then I would service it if these two things don't take care of your problem. Have them go all the way into it pulling the pan, if it's full of metal flakes it's over and you need a new trany.

Last edited:

Ranger Man87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
thanks guys you reminded me that last time i added fluid it ran find!!! thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals