• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger alternator wiring

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Okay, I picked up an '87 Ranger with a blown up carbed 2.0. I have a freshly rebuilt 2.3 to go in it. The problem is that the previous owner sold the alternator and cut the plug off. I figured no problem since i have an '86 Ranger and it'll be wired the same but no such luck. The '87 has 3 wires going to the small regulator plug which is still on the truck but it also has 3 wires that went to the alternator plug. 1 big black wire and 2 small grey/black wires. My '86 only has 2 wires to the regulator plug and 2 big black wires to the alternator plug. What's going on here? Parts stores list the same alternator for both trucks. Both trucks have an amp gauge instead of a light. Does anyone have a Ranger with 3 wires each that can tell me how to wire a new plug on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If it makes a difference my '86 is a 2.3 EFI and came with AC but it doesn't have it anymore. The '87 is a 2.0 with Carb and no electrical accessories, not even a radio.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Here's some pics of the 3-wire setup on the '87 and the 2-wire setup on the '86.

Attachments

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
I wonder why no answer. I am having a issue similar. My 87 ranger 2.9 4x4 alternator went out. It had been replaced once before by me. Took the alternator to Autozone where i had got it years ago. Seems that all the alternators have been deleted and one remains in place for all (AZ DL7725-2). After cutting the pig off and soldering in the two black wires i noticed i have no place to connect the white wire that comes off the new alternator(DL7725-2). Is this something that is in the archives? I haven't had any luck so far. Any help is appreciated. Dirty

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
Does anyone know if there is a difference in alternators 1987- on?

mcguire22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Cut the White wire, same thing happened to me. Bought truck with mix up of different years

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals