• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ford Ranger fickle about 3rd & 4th gear

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 4x4 1987 ford ranger with the 2.9 and A4LD auto transmission. When I'm giving it gas in 3rd and it shifts into 4th around 40 or so mph it will most often quickly drop back into 3rd then shift back into 4th and back to 3rd all while keeping the gas pedal in the same place. Its very harsh. I feel like it will do this indefinitely unless I either give it more gas and force it to stay in 3rd or let off the gas and keep it cruising around 35mph in 4th. Its as if theres a spot between 3rd and 4th gear that the truck has no idea which one to choose.

I've adjusted the bands, cleaned the valve body and checked all the valves moved properly and that the solenoid works, replaced the transmission filter and fluid, made sure the vacuum modulator holds vacuum as well as the vacuum line leading to it. I replaced the Throttle position sensor and the MAP sensor but was unable to find motorcraft version of those sensors so I can't say for sure if they're good parts. Things still on my suspect list are the transmission servos, governor and adjusting the kick down cable.

Anyone have any insight based on this description? Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals