• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 ford ranger, $6,000 and a toolbox.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
GOOD GOD I want to see someone throw a 200 shot in to a 2.9!! With no hood on it and a Go-Pro mounted on the roof!! Please do it!
Use the clear waterproof camera housing...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Zane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There's always a way
Are you doing any of the work here or are you sending it off to a shop once? 6k is not going to last long at $100/hour
All work myself only thing I cant do is weld

Zane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There's always a way
......so youre planning on a 13 second 2.9?

I love the 2.9....but thats asking alot. Theres no way youre gonna be able to put enough juice to it (and have it stayed glued togther) to get what youre wanting.

A 351W with a big carb, big cam, etc etc with a built C4 (or stock C6) should put
Id be looking for a 351W....
I've got a 1990 351w block but making efi work would be a nightmare without a custom ecu most folks on here dont post detailed enough builds to copy piece togethers. Not looking to get into something that going to be a wiring nightmare.

Zane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There's always a way
GOOD GOD I want to see someone throw a 200 shot in to a 2.9!! With no hood on it and a Go-Pro mounted on the roof!! Please do it!
If there wasn't a chance of sending parts into anything other than the air I'd give it a try lol

Zane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There's always a way
Dont count the 2.9 out.

I got faith.
Anyone actually know what the 2.9 block can handle? I've always just heard people blowing stocks on boost upwards of 20ib. We dont have a 2.9 dedicated speed section just scattered words of I've seen and this guy

Zane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There's always a way
Are you doing any of the work here or are you sending it off to a shop once? 6k is not going to last long at $100/hour
All the work myself. I have an abundance of time to myself on my off nights.

Zane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There's always a way
Juice isnt my only go fast answer I just have a full kit off another project I'd be willing to use. I'd prefer turbo. Or turbo bottle combo. This isnt some die hard track truck project i just want to have fun with it. I always see people in the forum offering up ways to spend someone's money when they post up there build ideas well I decided I'd actually see if there was a good one before I made a decision on mine. So far I've got one guy who offered up anything decent a 351 build and I happen to have a block on hand so it's not out of the question. I also have a 300 block but that's out of my skill range unfortunately.

Zane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There's always a way
......so youre planning on a 13 second 2.9?

I love the 2.9....but thats asking alot. Theres no way youre gonna be able to put enough juice to it (and have it stayed glued togther) to get what youre wanting.

A 351W with a big carb, big cam, etc etc with a built C4 (or stock C6) should put you in the neighborhood.
If I drop the weight of the 3400 pound truck by 550 pounds that puts it at 3000 with me in it so off that 3000 pound and 14 sec 1/4 I'd be looking at 275 at the wheels in theory. That's not to crazy. So what 140 is factory magic number actually like 117 add in restoration good heads good airflow some style of turbo at maybe 13ib boost and I'd be close to 200hp maybe a little more add in a gradual shot capped at 50 and I'm pretty close this is all just off theory calculations using internet algorithms but hey its possible maybe. And all that for 2k not bad when I'd be in that far just buying a parts explorer or ranger for 302 or 4.0

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Juice isnt my only go fast answer I just have a full kit off another project I'd be willing to use. I'd prefer turbo. Or turbo bottle combo. This isnt some die hard track truck project i just want to have fun with it. I always see people in the forum offering up ways to spend someone's money when they post up there build ideas well I decided I'd actually see if there was a good one before I made a decision on mine. So far I've got one guy who offered up anything decent a 351 build and I happen to have a block on hand so it's not out of the question. I also have a 300 block but that's out of my skill range unfortunately.
That 90 block would work with a carburator, just yank off the EFI shit and plop a big ol 4bbl intake/carb in its place.

The 300 would be....interesting. There are guys who have made them stupid fast (frenchtown flyer comes to mind), im not sure if the block is actually any stronger then that of a 351 and if it could handle boost/NOS numbers enough to get what you looking for. It doea have 7 main bearings going for it. But, fitting the 300 in a 1st gen engine bay is a bitch.

As far as the 2.9, as much as i love the little bastards i just dont think its a viable option for what youre trying to do. I know the bottom end is pretty stout on a 2.9, and ive never heard of abuse related block failure, however, to my knowledge no one has tried to get them to the levels your asking.

If your goal is 275@the wheels then a 4.0 is also not an option.

I really think that 351 is your best bet.

Zane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There's always a way
I really think that 351 is your best bet. [/QUOTE said:
I agree The 300 would be a beast I'm just not at that lvl of fabrication yet stretching a front end doesn't sound fun at all. As for the 351 Havent looked into off road 4bbl got any recommendations from experience?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals