• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 correct trim? Correct wheels?

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Rangerfiles: I have a few questions regarding my “Rick-storation” of my 87 ranger. I think I found an engine, so next steps, this is more about making Ranger-bed matching trailer(s). It’s not a top priority to keep it all original at all, but I am curious what I’m starting with, and what the experts think. See pictures.

Wheels: I like the look and stance of the truck with the current wheels and tires (which are obviously already paid for). The truck currently has the 15” steel wheels with black center caps and chrome trim rings. Are these 87 correct?

I also have eight of the 14” bullet hole mags. Are these 87 correct? If I put these on the truck and trailer(s), the bullet hole mags also match my 96 F250. I’m an engineer, I like things that match.

Did they make 15 inch bullet hole mags, or just 14? Would they be 87 correct? Are they hard to find (cheap)?

Finally, I have an opportunity to buy this other set of 14” mags that are currently on an 87, but I have never seen them before. There’s no Ford logo. Are they Ranger wheels or are they aftermarket? If Ranger, are they 87 correct? Are they valuable? If so, please guesstimate how much they should go for. Good shape, just need a wash.

Tailgate trim panel: My truck currently has the aluminum trim panel with the four letter Ford spelled out. Is this correct for 87 or is the similar aluminum panel with the blue Ford logo correct for 87? Or both? I have one extra of each, and like the wheels, I like the idea that the FORD matches the 96.

I’d like to know those “87 correct“ answers, please and thanks. I’m also curious in your opinions, keeping in mind that this is a very budget budget build, a “Rick-storation” not a restoration, with a “Rick-stoleum” roller/brush paint job since Earl Sheib left Atlanta. A quickie “heart shock with the paddles & a prayer” to bring it back to life, not “open heart surgery.”

Thank you in advance, comments and criticism graciously accepted! Wear a mask, be safe, kiss the girls and babies!

Attachments

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Those black rims were used on the b2 and rangers in the 80's. Those other rims were used on the b2, explorers, rangers up to 93..basically on the xlt line. They are also called the outlaw ll series, they came in 14" and 15"...those are stock center caps. The 2wd had the 14's, and 4wd had the 15's. For the tailgate panel..Ford did the lettering up to 88..it changed to the emblem in 89 or 90.

Don't recognize that 3rd picture of those rims. Never did like those tailgate panels. You can remove them and will have the Ford lettering..will have a bunch of holes there from the panel mounts

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Thanks!!

So, the bullet mags/outlaw II were an 87 Ranger correct wheel?

Are the 15” usually available or have they been gobbled up over the years? I didn’t have much trouble or much money rounding up the eight 14” I have, but I don’t think I even saw 15 inch.

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Those were on 87 to 93 rangers, xlt had them. For the availability of the 15's..hard to say. If you find an 4wd from 87 to 93 on the rangers or explorers. They will those style rims. I am using 15" American racing outlaw ll rims on my ranger on 31's, and wanted a full size spare. I found one on a 93 4wd ranger years ago. They do exist..maybe a little harder these days.

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
gen 1 & 2 alloy wheels seem to be very hard to come by around here, I think everything that goes to a junkyard has the wheels took off right away and the alloy wheels get cashed in for recycling.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
That’s been my experience to with mags/alloys, but I’m new to rangers.

I’ll check out 14” tires that’ll give the same height/width.

budget budget budget on this one, part of the challenge!

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
& BTW, I may run the steel daily, and swap to the alloys whenever. I’m like a woman with her shoes....

If I use the steel, I’ll base paint them silver, and do the notches in red to match the truck, trim rings and something creative on the hubs to match. I’ve had a lot of fun and thumbs up from a little creative trim paint over the years!

Reminds me, on the hubs, I have several where the chrome is coming off the plastic like hard tin foil. Many body know an easy way to strip them for paint?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The black wheels were base wheels and were a dark gray or argent color. The outlaw II style were optional, for first generation they had red (fades to pink/orange/yellow) trim in the centers. Later trucks had a slightly different shape with black in the center.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I’m sure the ones on my free ranger, like a lot of the truck, have been painted and primed and beaten banged on a few times. I’ve taken steel wheels before, and used a quarter inch artist brush and a couple different shades of Rust-Oleum or such, And made some good looking poor-man wheels before. Not too gaudy , but I like things that are unique.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals