• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Bronco 2 5-speed (2.9L) needs clutch ? Any hints/hacks/tips?

BTR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Just trailered home ‘87 Bronco 2. I welcome any guidance on the coming clutch replacement. I haven’t really seen it yet, but hoped to be able to drop the trans and transfer case together: probably not, huh? Thanks for any time on this.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
BTR:

I've use 3 different brands of clutch with my 87 2.9l:

Zoom 2 Kevlar; very grippy, no fun in traffic but super strong clutch, nothing helped get power down better

Centerforce Stage1; better than stock, easier on the leg but did not get as much power to pavement

Some OEM; the cheapest, felt like stock, made my 2.9 feel like a 2.3 four banger but it worked well as far as shifting experience and service life

Also, all 3 were for the 2.9L; I have since learned that I can use the stronger, larger 4.0L clutch. When my current clutch dies I will be using a Centerforce stage1 4.0L replacement.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Taking the transfer case off separately sure makes it lighter and easier to handle.

And I had a ranger and Bronco II. I bought the Bronco II with a bad 5 speed. I swapped the 5 speed from the ranger into the Bronco II. I know some guys do it, don't know how though. But I could not get either one of those transmissions in or out without taking the y pipe off and dropping it down. So that can be another can of worms, getting the nuts loose on the exhaust manifolds. I was able to do it though, soaking them with penetrate, and using a impact to back up, go in, then back up and gently working them off without twisting the studs off.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Taking the transfer case off separately sure makes it lighter and easier to handle.

And I had a ranger and Bronco II. I bought the Bronco II with a bad 5 speed. I swapped the 5 speed from the ranger into the Bronco II. I know some guys do it, don't know how though. But I could not get either one of those transmissions in or out without taking the y pipe off and dropping it down. So that can be another can of worms, getting the nuts loose on the exhaust manifolds. I was able to do it though, soaking them with penetrate, and using a impact to back up, go in, then back up and gently working them off without twisting the studs off.
Don’t do it... take it to a mom and pop exhaust shop. Have them take the y pipe out and reinstall it. If the bolts/studs break, they’ll replace them.

BTR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. I’ll hit those with Blaster solvent tonight and look for that.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
If you're going to do the 4.0 clutch swap, read up on it tin the tech section. Not worth putting a 2.9 clutch back in. Only hard part is getting the starter plate for it.

@85_Ranger4x4 has video somewhere of what happens to a 2.9 stock clutch when you start building up the engine....

BTR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Don’t do it... take it to a mom and pop exhaust shop. Have them take the y pipe out and reinstall it. If the bolts/studs break, they’ll replace them.
If you're going to do the 4.0 clutch swap, read up on it tin the tech section. Not worth putting a 2.9 clutch back in. Only hard part is getting the starter plate for it.

@85_Ranger4x4 has video somewhere of what happens to a 2.9 stock clutch when you start building up the engine....

BTR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Good to know. I’ll start investigating starter plate sourcing. Thanks.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

FWIW I don't know if a bigger clutch would have really helped much though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals