• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987/8 ranger 4x4 stx Mitsubishi trans 5th is neutral?

Jessekustoms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x1997 2.3 2wd
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi not sure if this is the right place to post this so let me know if I'm suppose to put this elsewhere. I have a 1988 ford ranger stx with a build date of 10/87 trans code d so it should be a Mitsubishi fm14? I know 87/88 was two different ones so no idea which one it is. The problem is 5th is neutral and I feel a weird grinding in 2nd and reverse did 5th just slide back due to a locking failing or is it impending doom soon to come? It made it home 70 miles minus 5th and drives reasonable fine minus the slight growling in 2nd. So if you have any ideas or thoughts please share thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what you are asking but will give it a shot.

Is it OK to drive it, yes............until it isn't, what that means is that something in the transmission has failed, could be metal fatigue, general wear, or ???

But 5th gear is either no longer secured to counter shaft or it's Dog Gear can no longer engage it, if Reverse still works then 5th/reverse shift fork still works.

5 speed Manual transmission uses 3 shift forks and 3 Dog Gears
1st/2nd
3rd/4th
5th/reverse

The 6 gears(1-5/reverse) themselves are always "meshed" and secured onto input shaft/counter shaft
But not to output shaft(rear wheels)
(4th gear in a 5 speed is not really a "gear" with teeth, it is 1:1 ratio so just a straight connection of input shaft to output shaft)

The Dog gears are secured to the output shaft, and one double sided dog gear sits between 2 transmission gears, like 1st and 2nd, when you push shifter forward to engage 1st gear the shift fork for 1st/2nd moves the 1st/2nd dog gear towards 1st gear, if there is synchromesh then it will start to spin 1st gear to match the spin of the dog gear and then dog gear will lock into 1st gear slots that match dog gear tabs, and now 1st gear is engaged to output shaft via the dog gear.
3rd/4th and 5th/reverse work the same.
Neutral is when all 3 dog gears are between their respective gears, not engaged

So what is wrong with your trans?

Can't say.
Would expect further trouble just because there is trouble now, but no crystal ball here.

Towing bills can be expensive and transmissions can fail with rear wheels locked, dropping drive line will allow moving it.

If it were me I would shop for another trans, or rebuild it sooner than later

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals