• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 4wd 5-sp insurance

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
My head is hurting, Riddle me this:

I have Liberty Mutual for my house and for my 1996 f250 4wd diesel. All my Lincolns are insured under a Grundy/Philadelphia collector policy. No tickets or accidents. The F250 cost me $750 per year. I have full coverage at a low deductible, I think 100/300/100. GA/ATL. Retired.

Liberty Mutual wants $1050 For this little 1987 4wd 5sp 2.9v6 Ranger that I will Drive less than $5000 per year.

Huh???

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Ho lee sheet dude. Why do you want full coverage on it? A year or two worth of insurance would replace the truck.

I have Progressive liability only, fairly sure it's 100/300/100, on six of my vehicles and it costs me something like $80/month. Works out to like $13 per vehicle per month. I have no tickets or accidents either.

I'd shop around, I had AAA insurance before Progressive and it was double that. State Farm prior to AAA and it was double what AAA was, Geico before State Farm and that was 3x what State Farm wanted. I have no loyalty to any insurance company, if they mess with my rates I dump em. The only one I will never use is American Family.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dude. Look into hagarty. On my 1988 ranger. Listed as a modified. With 5,000 agreed coverage. I was paying 25 a month for full coverage. And I was allowed to keep it in my driveway.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Wow... that is insane for a 33 year old truck. Are they charging a premium for an "antique" vehicle? I do agree with Shran tho... full coverage is going to cost you the value of the truck in a few years f not sooner. At the very least I would remove the collision insurance and possibly dump it down to liability only depending on the condition of the truck. comprehensive is nice if you get Kamikaze'd by a deer, at least you have a small amount of money to go search for a new truck, but you can also save up the difference between liability and full for a few years and be "self insured" for as little as that truck would cost to replace.

@Shran just out of curiosity, why won't you use Am Fam? I have had them for 3 years now and they are waaaayyyy better than State Farm and Allstate before State Farm...

I even have a fairly serious accident under them that was judged "my fault".... no tickets from the accident, even the cop did not give me "at fault" but the insurance did State Farm and All state both just kept creeping my rates up and and up and up. State Farm then cancelled my wife off of my Ranger's policy (no tickets or accidents within 3 years) and did not give me a reason why, so I went to Am Fam on the suggestion of a coworker who had them. totally dropped my house and car insurance by well over a thousand bucks a year. Even with the accident I had it only went up a little bit.

AJ

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
My 1988 is $19/mo for full coverage with Steak Farm....

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
there must be something about rangers that insurance companies dont like. back (in ‘92) when I had a 1988 2.3 2wd supercab ranger AND a 1977 305 4 door chevy nova, the breakdown on coverage was ridiculous. Both were liability only, but the ranger was double the premium of the nova. WTF? the nova was heavier, V8, could do 120 and im sure twice the damage the ranger could. On a good day that ranger “might” top out at 75. Theres just no logical reason for that at all, I could see the nova being more, but not the ranger. Im not sure what Im paying now, The general was trying to raise my rates over a seat belt ticket so I dumped them and put the ranger on my g/f’s policy. Only the escape has full coverage, its still worth 4K so I think its a good idea to keep it fully insured. The ranger & HHR arent worth much.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
@Shran just out of curiosity, why won't you use Am Fam? I have had them for 3 years now and they are waaaayyyy better than State Farm and Allstate before State Farm...
I've had two of their insured drivers hit my vehicles and both times they were a huge pain to deal with. The first time, I got rear ended and the claims adjuster bugged me non stop to settle and tried to nickel and dime me over piddly stuff - I just wanted replacement value for the car...nothing more, no medical, no rental, just a check for what a nice car was worth. Eventually I got it but it bothers me to this day that the guy wanted closure on it so bad.

The second time I got run into by a teenager pulling out of a parking lot. The adjuster was a decent guy but his supervisor in Minneapolis was a mega asshat and tried telling me that it was MY fault that I got run into because "I didn't try to avoid the accident." He was incredibly rude... it's been years now and I'd still sic the Clintons on him if I could. I had to file a complaint against AmFam with the state insurance commission. I got a resolution in my favor REALLY fast.

I don't care how cheap their rates are, they do not give two shits about anyone but themselves. That is true for every insurance company out there for sure but much more so for them.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I just realized the reason my Ranger coverage is high is from all you guys rolling your trucks over 4-wheelin’ on the weekends!!!

Seriously, I appreciate all this. Last time I asked Grundy - about 10 years ago - they wouldn’t do a “regular” pickup. That may have changed and this is an antique technically. I’ll see if Grundy takes it and maybe call Haggerty.

A few thoughts for other folks. Early in my career I was responsible for about a dozen long-haul chemical rigs. Peterbilt and Kenworth, and a dozen local 6-wheelers and about a dozen executive & salesmen’s cars. In 4 years and probably a million miles, we had one accident that was technically our fault (short term box trailer rental axle blew up). Most of the companies you know were ok to deal with when others caused the accidents except GEICO and Progressive. It was such a nightmare of unethical evasion that after two years, if they were involved, we sent the first form, didn’t wait for a response, and gave it the lawyers. Every time we filed suit and requested a jury trial (18-24 months later), and they settled within 3 days of trial. Hateful people.

In the 90s through 2004, I was part owner of a regional engineering company. We had environmental drill rigs, a few low boys, box trucks, stake trucks (20?) and we ran 250-300 Rangers and S10s for technicians. Ditto what I said above about GEICO and Progressive. We instituted a driver safety program and put the GPS trackers in every vehicle (WOW was that eye opening!) and we reduced the accidents caused by us from about 80-90 per year to under 15. We also started a policy of legally fighting every personal injury claim (the whiplash willy stuff). Our insurance company wanted to RAISE our rates by 220%, and then tried to cancel us! We ended up in a legal action against them and won.

I can’t remember if it was GEICO or Progressive, but they instituted a blanket policy when settling a claim by claiming that our drivers we responsible for 10-20% or such of clearly not-our-fault accidents. We started a class action suit with the insurance commissioner, and they paid all our claims. I’m positive they still do that though cuz it happened to my son a couple years ago when a drunk ran a stop sign. They said he was 15% at fault. We had to sue to get his car replaced at value, a nice Volvo.

If they pull that crap or they want to lowball you, call the state insurance commissioner. It almost always yields a better result.

Haha, forgive me, I’m trying to play with my new toy, and I’m getting all pissed off about this crap from decades ago just thinking about it! Black-hearted unethical scum. Don’t even ask me about AT&T!!!

Wear a mask, be safe...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ford Ranger crash ratings aren’t the best. That’s part of the reason the premium is so high. I do agree though, full coverage on a 30+ year old truck doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Hey, you guys haven’t seen a “Rick-storation” yet! & Rust-Oleum isn’t cheap!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Hey, you guys haven’t seen a “Rick-storation” yet! & Rust-Oleum isn’t cheap!
Ha! do a google on "50 dollar paint job"

AJ

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
That’s the plan!!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Full coverage on a vehicle that old is a huge waste, doesn't matter how much insurance you pay on it, its still only worth low blue book to an insurance company more likely scrap price. I have liability on my Ranger and Bronco 2, even with all the work I've done to them an insurance company isn't going to cut me a check for the $5500 engine replacement or $2200 transmission replacement, or the paint and body work I've done, etc. The only add-on that I have is towing, its a hell of a lot cheaper than a tow bill. I've had a few different insurance companies, I have State Farm now and they seem the cheapest compared to Farmer's Insurance, AAA, and USAA that everyone claims is so great, they're not they had higher rates than even AAA did. I pay about $25/mo for the Ranger and if I recall $30-35/mo for the Bronco 2.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It depends on the insurance company too. State Farm only pays after you paid for the tow and only so much. With the traveling I do, I chose AAA, even though I've paid for and then some for a tow up to 200 miles.

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Allstate had mine at ~ $20/mo for liability, but I had to drop them after they quoted me $500+/mo for full coverage on my Grand Prix. That was after heavy discounts, would've been $700+ before discounts.

Would've paid more for a years worth of insurance than the car was worth. I don't have a favorable view of insurance companies to say the least

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals