• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 4WD “Rick-storation”

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Little update: I did pick up the HF 4x8 trailer, now I have two more than I need! When I sort all the junk out for the three I want to keep, I’ll quick rig a couple with all the extra trailer wheels, axles and such and flip them.

I picked up this 7’ bed this weekend for $50. That gives me the three I want: one each 6’ painted to match Big Red and the 87 4WD, and I’ll make the 7 into another match for Big Red, the F250. It’s structurally sound, a few hours of fiberglass on some low rust needed.

I found 3 more of the solid quality Weatherman 60” in-bed truck boxes at $150 each. I’m seeing if he’ll do a package deal, but the most I’ve paid is $50, but these are VERY nice used boxes ($600 new). I think I’m also going to mount some small drink coolers either in front of, or in, the boxes. I’ll just have to see how the creative juices are flowing that day...

Keys are still locked in the ‘93, I hope to get it open tomorrow and bleed the clutch and then see what else it needs.

too many half done projects!!!

Attachments

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
So I found this picture on line which is an amazing depiction of my warped vision for the 1993 if I get it running, except my truck will have two rear axles and the trailer will be a lowboy with two axles. You can see it has the same refined look I’m trying to capture.

I picked up two more big in-bed boxes, and a 32” Diamond plate box, and a 30” diamond plate tongue box for another $160. I figure I have enough junk now to actually start doing something.

Mostly I’ve started stripping the trailers down. I’m going to build some quickee sawhorses to set the beds and the trailers off the ground so they’re easier to work on by a feeble old man. When I get them staged, I’ll send some “before“ pics.

The big news is the 87 4WD made it down to the mechanic today, so hopefully that’ll be running again next week.
A55DC492-1CED-4557-9C73-E649212AAB69.png

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What brand is the truck? My mind keeps screaming Diamond T.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Don’t know. If you search in YouTube for “old bus camper”. You can find it. It’s some kind of modern heavy duty truck under the old body, but it’s only music, no description.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Ok, progress!!! Shade tree surgeon just called, the motor is in and looks good, but we need a new starter. Should be running by the end of the day. Yeah! Then we have to check the tranny and rear end etc., but I should have it back early next week

And, to recap a little. 87 4WD Rick-storation will continue here, fixing the 93 2WD will follow under the dually thread, and the new-for-me 97 4.0 ext cab Rick’s Ranger Rig tractor trailer project will be in a new thread when I get something to report.

The trailer builds (2-6’, 1-7’) will be here. The flatbed for Rick’s Ranger Rig probably won’t even be started until the truck part is 90% done, and I’ll cover it under that thread.

eatin’ peanuts...

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
When I was in church this morning, I felt a divine inspiration from above that I should be more concise in my updates. The Guy upstairs has treated me well in my life, so I’m going to try to abide Him...

A little update and a question for you guys:
On Friday I picked up “L’il Red” (which is still black) my free Ranger from the shade tree. The 2.9 was purring like a kitten, and I was greatly relieved that all the transmission and the transfer case and rear end, etc. we’re all in great shape. As a matter of fact, I was so proud of it, that halfway home I decided to call a tow truck and put it on top so everyone could see what a great truck it was! And boy was that lucky, since the radiator was leaking and the brakes were starting to go out! Here’s a great pic on the side of the Atlanta beltway while half the city is going by.

OK, here’s my question for you guys. The new engine was rebuilt with updated heads and it only had 40,000 miles on it. I saw the receipts and I talked to the owner who had wrecked it. The shade tree put the old engine in the back, and I don’t really have a place for it. That engines threw a rod through the side of the block. It’s complete with all of the fuel injection and things that are part of the motor, with the distributor and everything that makes it run, but not the alternator or AC compressor or things like that. I will probably never wear out the rebuilt Engine in that little truck no more than I will drive it with all the rest of the vehicles before I leave this world. My question, what should I take off that engine and keep like the fuel injection and heads and distributor etc. I’m going to trash the block and pistons and such, or should I even keep the crank and the pistons? I’m sure I would never do that level of work again myself, but the reason I have the shed of miracles out back is it saved me gazillions over the years when I had the parts and I had to get something done.

Oh, And the rust oleum came in finally. I still have to test and see if it’s the right color red.

Well, I think that’s about as concise as I’m capable of. Whew that was hard! How did I do?

Attachments

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Ok, I need a little help here. This is on this 1987 4WD “Rick-storation.” I played round-robin in the yard today with the three Rangers and my F250 diesel. Right now I’m just trying to get them all running smoothly.

I put a new battery in the 87 and reworked the wiring and cleaned things up under the hood. This clean up after the shade tree swapped my engine. The AC Compressor is not installed, and the evaporator box on the firewall is there, but with just the fittings sticking out the front, no hoses.
3AC686F7-F898-43B0-A8C2-EDEC88C50AEC.jpeg
714FA6ED-E9FB-40BC-BDB3-9B86D4A87517.jpeg
8C176EDF-B509-48C5-8D39-31F05D57CCAC.jpeg

What is this thing, what does this sensor do? It was hanging down by the wires on the passenger side under the alternator. The wires feed back to the evaporator box on the firewall, attached to an electronic gizmo in the third picture atop the evaporator box. Is it part of the AC system? It reminds me of a magnetic rev counter on a 1986 Mercedes 300 C I had back in the day, a magnetic counter that counted the blades on the alternator fan, that would turn the AC compressor on and off momentarily when you were trying to accelerate fast.

I’ll do the AC later after I do everything else, for next Spring, I just want to make sure this isn’t something affecting the engine.

All help appreciated!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals