• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 2wd 5 speed ford Ranger tk5 transmission shifter fell out of my transmission and idk where to find the part

Jerico

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
there is a wiper arm bushing kit dorman sells that has a white cup-shaped bushing in that works realy well. dorman number 49447
Yeah and does it fit in where the shifter fits and also fits the shifter

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Yeah and does it fit in where the shifter fits and also fits the shifter
yes. although you need to be careful lining it up because it doesnt snap into either fit, it just sits in the trans.

TexasDuck66

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock LIft
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
235/75/R15s
yes. although you need to be careful lining it up because it doesnt snap into either fit, it just sits in the trans.

Not sure if it's in stock but it says it is for me. This guy sells custom machined in house TK5 shifters that are made out of full metal and eliminates the "plastic" factor. They're expensive but I've searched for about a year for TK5 shifters and this has been the only guy/company who manufactures them still. They/them has their own website as well, I just follow their Ebay store and they sell out quick and usually take a month or two to come in stock.

Hopefully this helps you. I have an 83' 2.3L 4x4 with the TK4. I have a TK5 I am gonna swap in at some point down the line to have the added benefit of the 5th gear. If you decide to buy it and get that custom shifter installed, do let me know because I've been tempted to buy one but just haven't seen or heard any reviews on it by anyone on the forums.

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger

Not sure if it's in stock but it says it is for me. This guy sells custom machined in house TK5 shifters that are made out of full metal and eliminates the "plastic" factor. They're expensive but I've searched for about a year for TK5 shifters and this has been the only guy/company who manufactures them still. They/them has their own website as well, I just follow their Ebay store and they sell out quick and usually take a month or two to come in stock.

Hopefully this helps you. I have an 83' 2.3L 4x4 with the TK4. I have a TK5 I am gonna swap in at some point down the line to have the added benefit of the 5th gear. If you decide to buy it and get that custom shifter installed, do let me know because I've been tempted to buy one but just haven't seen or heard any reviews on it by anyone on the forums.
I've installed their shifter in a customer's '94 4.0 truck, and it fit great. But that was an M5OD.

Why not put an M5OD in yours? Replaceable bushings, stronger, easier to find parts for, synchronized reverse, etc.

LD57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey, newbie here, original owner of an '87 Ranger, 2.9 TK-5 trans, mfd. March '97.
The hydraulic throwout went, and working on that, but with the tranny on a stand in the garage, I put the shifter back in after fixing up that bushing with some 2 part epoxy, but it only seems to want to shift into 2 gears, I can't move the shifter to get it to select other gears. Did I screw up somehow and how do I fix that? Thanks!!

LD57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I seem to be able to move it into the gears by hand, and if I put it in 1st then put the shifter on, it acts like all is well but then won't go back over to the 1st and 2nd gate. ???? Did I put the bushing too low on the shaft, would that make any difference? It might, mightn't it.

The shifter came out of the floor in my hand when it was about 3k miles out of warranty, but Ford replaced it as a recall. Not a problem since, clutch and stuff replaced once before, and it would be fine if it wasn't for that idiotic internal slave thing. :pissedoff:

101_0169.JPG
101_0170.JPG

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I seem to be able to move it into the gears by hand, and if I put it in 1st then put the shifter on, it acts like all is well but then won't go back over to the 1st and 2nd gate. ???? Did I put the bushing too low on the shaft, would that make any difference? It might, mightn't it.

The shifter came out of the floor in my hand when it was about 3k miles out of warranty, but Ford replaced it as a recall. Not a problem since, clutch and stuff replaced once before, and it would be fine if it wasn't for that idiotic internal slave thing. :pissedoff:

View attachment 95631View attachment 95632
You might have better luck starting your own thread over in the transmission forum

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
It's because you missed the hole with the end of the shifter, i think. Put the shifter in neutral and try again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals