• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 2-speed to 3-speed wipers

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
My '87 has the base 2-speed wiper switch but I have a spare column with the 3-speed delay switch. Most everywhere shows the wiper motors being the same so is it a matter of just changing the switch? I've had some first gens with delay wipers but it seems like there was a relay somewhere to make it work.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, wiper motors just have high/low and Park

The intermittent needs a timer module along with the new switch, the "delay" can be changed, timer just turns on low speed then turns on Park, then the "delay" and it repeats, low on, then low off, and Park on, so it needs the timer part to work, not sure where that is located

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I believe the "timer" or delay module is on the left side under dash area around the steering column somewhere. I cannot recall for sure its been about 3 years since the one in my 88 Bronco 2 was bypassed due to a short in it somewhere sadly so mine is just low/hi which is annoying most of the time as you only need a swipe of the wipers once in a while but annoying to have to leave them on low in those cases where a delay would be great LOL...if I knew more about wiring and how it all worked in that delay stuff I'd love to fix mine as well.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I built a wiper delay for a friends '69 corvette, but that was years ago, I remember 555 timer chip, 2 relays and a variable resistor
But you had to turn wipers on low first to use them, it had a vacuum operated wiper door that had to open
Then the variable resistor took over Low, so 1 second delay to about 20 second delay

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I believe the "timer" or delay module is on the left side under dash area around the steering column somewhere. I cannot recall for sure its been about 3 years since the one in my 88 Bronco 2 was bypassed due to a short in it somewhere sadly so mine is just low/hi which is annoying most of the time as you only need a swipe of the wipers once in a while but annoying to have to leave them on low in those cases where a delay would be great LOL...if I knew more about wiring and how it all worked in that delay stuff I'd love to fix mine as well.
Hi Bill, it's called a wiper governor. I searched ebay and the rest of the internet for about 2 years before I found one NOS. But I think the module itself is shared with many ford/mercury modules and only the wiring harness is different as the part numbers differ only in the last couple of places, something like 123456-A0 123456-B0, etc...

If memory serves, it is on a bracket just to the right of the steering column under the dash. Once you contort yourself into position it's easy to take out.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IIRC it is mounted on a black round brace for the dash. Looks like a roughly 1/2" diameter pipe.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Ok, thanks, now if i could figure out where it was all shorted out at it would be great LOL. Originally when you would turn the wipers on it would immediately trip the breaker, but after the shop bypassed the delay wiper function they work just fine, just sucks only having low/high and no interval.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I took my column apart to trace the wires, the original wire wrap was a mess and the wires were not protected well. I stripped all the old wrap off the harness and re-wrapped in electrical tape.
You might check that.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
When I took my column apart to trace the wires, the original wire wrap was a mess and the wires were not protected well. I stripped all the old wrap off the harness and re-wrapped in electrical tape.
You might check that.
The shop never checked for shorts or anything, they just bypassed it to save money in diagnostic fees. I'm ok with that, but I'm getting to the point where I'd like to see if I can properly fix it and get that function back...now that I have my 87 Ranger with the same interval wiper setup it may be of help to be able to see where things are supposed to be and how its hooked up...the PO of my Bronco 2 did a lot of very questionable things leaving stuff that don't work right, or don't work at all LOL.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
LO, I hear you, my BII had multiple wiring splices that consisted of twisted wire and dollar store electrical tape. Every connection for the radio was that way. I found that out when the radio smoked because most of the tape had fallen off

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
LO, I hear you, my BII had multiple wiring splices that consisted of twisted wire and dollar store electrical tape. Every connection for the radio was that way. I found that out when the radio smoked because most of the tape had fallen off
I found the governor so I'll start digging into this further and hopefully come up with a repair.

With my cut down hours at work and the "stay at home" order its giving me time to do some stuff I normally don't have time to try to tackle so the wiper issue is one, then the radio in the Bronco 2 and the Ranger have to go, I think the issues are both head unit related but need to dig into it to be 100% sure...I'd rather try and keep the stock radios if possible even if I have to find replacements at the junk yard. Although I guess with my Bronco 2 and Ranger these single DIN radios would be much easier to replace with an aftermarket unit and look good where the one in my 84 Ranger had a gap above and below from the original radio's large height compared to newer radio head units.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
So would the 3-speed part work without having the governor, timer part? I can do without the delay part. One more speed would give me another option.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So would the 3-speed part work without having the governor, timer part? I can do without the delay part. One more speed would give me another option.
I meant to answer this a couple weeks ago, I believe the third speed is the delay created by the governor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals