• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 2.9L to a 1991 4.0L

Joeschiffman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I bought an 87 ranger 4x4 with a 2.9 manual and my head gasket went bad the next day😒. The engine already had some blowby and I had another ranger I could buy cheap (also wanted more power) the 91 ranger I bought for the engine is a 2wd with a 4.0 (also manual) me and a buddy have the new engine in the truck we just haven’t done the wiring or fuel ext. was wondering if anyone had done this swap and could gimme some advice on the wiring or just advice in general. Thanks.

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool deal Joe. Give it some time, someone will drop some info your way. I don't know a lot about the swap but I think they're fairly similar. Good luck either way

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Use the wiring from the 91 in the 87, all of it, every bit, the computer too. It will be simpler to move everything from the 91, all sensors, the entire dash and steering column.

Doing it this way is way more "plug and play". A complete operational system taken form one chassis and placed in a new home.

If you follow this track, the only wiring decisions to make are with the head lights. The better solution there is to build a NEW relay controlled circuit from the battery direct to the headlights (the stock light control switch is still used to energize the relays off/on).

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
While I somewhat agree with gaz on using the donor wiring, be aware that moving the dash & steering column into the donor is not a simple task.

Problem #1 is the firewall requires extensive modifications to make the 2nd gen column fit:

Problem #2 is the pedal assembly supports the dash on 2nd gen trucks but a 2nd gen pedal assembly doesn't fit very well in a 1st gen truck.

Problem #3 is caused by #2, the slave cylinder is at a different length away from the pedals so you have to modify the pushrod to disengage the clutch completely

Problem #4, the 2nd gen dash upper mounts along the windshield are in different spots than a 1st gen and the dash itself is a very tight fit

Problem #5, the big "cannon" plug on the driver's side firewall, this does not exist on a 1st gen so you have to make a new hole for that

Problem #6, minor, you lose your dash speakers

I believe there were a few other ones but as you can imagine it's a lot of work. If I did it again, and I had a 1st gen with a nice interior, I would NOT swap the 2nd gen interior in. I only did because my interior was trashed.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
This looks like it’s for a bronco do you know if it’s relatively the same?
As far as I know it for Rangers and Bronco IIs. I can't see installing a 4.0L into a Fullsize truck or Bronco.

Joeschiffman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey so my wiring harness got cut on this (long story lol) and there are identical wires running through it and I’m unsure which ends go to each other. Any help?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Man, wiring is a whole nuther beast. Good luck with it though, wear your thinking cap and bring your patience

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Post up some detailed pictures of what you have for wiring and maybe some specific questions. It's a difficult thing to explain over the internet...

Very generically, you want the computer and and every wire originally attached to it (all the way out to each sensor) from the 91. I found it easier to pull all of the relays and the underhood fuse box from the donor too. When you pulled the engine, should've just unplugged a large connector to the rear passenger side. It would plug right back into the other wiring you need. If done right the only splices required are at the firewall on the driver's side, to keep the 87 dash.

When everything engine related is removed from the 87, you'll still have a few wires coming from the firewall going out to lights, horn, and fuel pump. Those need to stay original.

I just noticed your in TN. Where abouts? I'm in Lafayette myself. If you're close enough I'd be willing to come help if ya want.

Last edited:

Joeschiffman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Post up some detailed pictures of what you have for wiring and maybe some specific questions. It's a difficult thing to explain over the internet...

Very generically, you want the computer and and every wire originally attached to it (all the way out to each sensor) from the 91. I found it easier to pull all of the relays and the underhood fuse box from the donor too. When you pulled the engine, should've just unplugged a large connector to the rear passenger side. It would plug right back into the other wiring you need. If done right the only splices required are at the firewall on the driver's side, to keep the 87 dash.

When everything engine related is removed from the 87, you'll still have a few wires coming from the firewall going out to lights, horn, and fuel pump. Those need to stay original.

I just noticed your in TN. Where abouts? I'm in Lafayette myself. If you're close enough I'd be willing to come help if ya want.
The wiring harness has been cut in two different spots the wires run from that fuse box to the plug that goes into the interior. I patched a handful of wires then noticed the identical black and white wires. So I tried to find a wiring diagram for the truck so I could trace them to where they need to go. But couldn’t find anything helpful/: thanks.
I’ve posted on the wanted thread for a new wiring harness. And I’ve contacted a scrap company that might have what I need. I’ll keep y’all posted on this. Thanks for all the help:)

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
just use the eec harness and pdb.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'd be willing to bet that those go to pins 40 and 60 on the ECU. Which are both ground from the battery.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Id use an OHM meter to probe a wire on the cut end and check the plugs until you find where it goes to. I have an old meter set up with an alligator clip on one lead so I can strip a little insulation off and clip that end on and probe with the other. Pain in the neck, but it works. Label each wire as you trace it. Masking tape works good for temporary labels. If I think I’m ever going to have to trace stuff out again I print labels with a labelmaker.

I’m going to say it… I don’t like the looks of your splices. Not sure what your method is, but it looks like you may be inviting future problems. Be less of a worry in the cab, but IMHO, the best two methods for splicing on a vehicle is solder and glue-lined heat shrink or the solder-shrink connectors that have a ring of solder that melts when it gets hit with a heat gun inside of a bit of heat shrink. Even those are not quite as good as unbroken wire, but much better than wrapping with tape.

Greenasspider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Hi , currently in the middle of swap . 87 supercab 4x4 . 2.9L ,out , dash out . Firewall stripped inside and out . Front clip removed. Installing , 2006 4.0 L SOHC .
Donor cab , dash firewall is 2003. I see where the brake , clutch pedal assemblies will be an issue for installing the new dash .
The question i have today is . clutch and flywheel for 4.0 L , will this mate up to transmission , bell housing , stock from 2.9L ? The bell housing will bolt to the engine , the splines and pilot on the input shaft are the same, but the distance to release bearing doesn't seem to measure up . Has anyone done this ? Or is there another clutch that will work ? The flywheel thickness is the biggest difference . Can someone please tell me the thickness of the 2.9L flywheel for manual transmission as i no longer have it .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals