• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 2.9l Stalling

Phroggy46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.9 L
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 1987 Ranger 2.9L that typically likes to stall at idle after getting warm, though it has stalled once when going up a hill at near full throttle. At first, I thought it was a dirty throttle body, then the idle air control valve, then broken vacuum lines, then the TFI module. I've replaced/repaired all of these problems but none of them have worked. My current theory is dirty fuel injectors, which will hopefully be cleaned with seafoam, but any other ideas would be very welcome.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
What things have you checked?
Fuel filter and fuel pressure
Timing with SPOUT disconnected
Engine codes
Etc

Phroggy46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.9 L
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't gotten around to checking any of those things. I've mainly been going down the list of what might be the issue but I haven't been able to perform any thorough diagnostic tests yet.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I wouldn't replace anything else before doing some tests.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
When it quits does it putted and die like its running out of fuel? Or does it act like you shut the key off?

Also, whats the process of getting it started again?

It could be nothing short of 1000 things. But it almost sounds like the ignition coil is bad. Espicially if you have to let it cool down to restart. But like fast said, do a bit of checking and let us know.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You might also want to check out 91Stranger’s “Truck Stalled While Driving” thread here:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176400

His issue turned out to be a simple temp sensor...

EDIT - if you haven’t done little things like replacing the fuel filter, etc in a while, you could always start with those and just know they’re done for the future. Also, when I bought my ’92, I had a different problem (terrible vibration going down the road anytime it was under 3K) that wasn’t fixed by two cans of Seafoam. When I finally replaced the injectors, they were absolutely disgusting. I only bring it up so folks remember that really bad injectors won’t be helped by SF. If you end up having to replace them, shop around a bit. New ones for my truck were about 70 bucks a piece from my local auto parts store. I found a set of six rebuilt Bosch ones for $100 on eBay. A few days later, they were down to the last set and I got an offer to buy them for $70. Six for the price of one? Yes, please. Bought them and they work great.

Last edited:

Phroggy46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.9 L
Transmission
Automatic
Update

Alright, so I finally got around to performing the fuel pressure test though I have yet to check the other things that fastpakr suggested. The fuel pressure test did yield some interesting results.

With key on engine off, my pressure was around 36/37 psi and didn't drop over 5 minutes

With the engine on, my pressure dropped to 30 and maintained pressure, even when revved. When I unplugged the pressure regulator vacuum tube, the pressure jumped back up to 40 and maintained pressure, also even when we revved it.

Rusty ol Ranger,
When it dies it acts as though the key turned off. I typically wait anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes to turn it back on again and it usually is easier to turn on when it's moving vs. when I'm stopped at a light.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Did you replace the TFI with a high quality unit? Cheap Chinese ones don’t hold up too well and your problem sounds exactly like a bad TFI. I’d recommend getting a motor craft part off rockauto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phroggy46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.9 L
Transmission
Automatic
Did you replace the TFI with a high quality unit? Cheap Chinese ones don’t hold up too well and your problem sounds exactly like a bad TFI. I’d recommend getting a motor craft part off rockauto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup I got a good one, and I still have my old one I think.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know this post is over 5 years old, but did you ever find out what the issue was?

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
That would be the ignition module on distributer

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
If it takes hours or days to restart, it would be the stator. Inside the distributor

bcschief

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Something else to consider if the in-tank pump goes bad the engine will run ok on just the high-pressure pump on the frame rail as long as the tank is full to about 1/2 of a tank. Once the fuel drops below about 1/2 of a tank the high-pressure pump struggles to pull the fuel from the tank. I had this happen to me one morning on the way to work. I managed to nurse the truck along at about 20 mph for a few miles to a gas station where I filled the tank up and like magic the truck ran fine the rest of the way to work. My ranger has a midship tank only and I would imagine that a rear tank truck that might not work on because of how much further the fuel is from the high-pressure pump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals