• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 2.9 swap to 4.0

Gordy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is my first post here, so if this has been answered before (and I imagine it has been answered a lot) please forgive me and point me to an existing thread.

I bought a 1987 Ranger with a 2.9l engine that had cracked heads from a family member. Since I only paid $1 for it and another $50 to change the title over, I thought it was a decent deal.

I want to swap the 2.9 out for a 4.0, given the year of the trucks is '87, what year and vehicle should I be looking at for the engine donation?

It looks like I need to take the wiring harness, is there anything else I need to take for this swap?

Thanks,
Gordy

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think the 4.0 OHV is going to be your most swap friendly option. I believe you can use the existing transmission and you will probably need the wire harness from a 4.0 OHV with the same type of transmission. The rest will have to be answered by someone who has done the swap.

Welcome to the forum and I’ve moved your question to a better fitting section of the forum. Good luck!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Trans will bolt up but probably wont last long. A TK might go a bit further then a mitsu

Gordy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What year for the 4.0 should I be looking for? And does it matter what it comes out of?

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"I" would stick with a 1990-1994 4.0L. There are some things with used later model 4.0L you are better off not dealing with unless you already have the 4.0L out to access the back of the engine. "ME" I would convert the 4.0L to a carb and not have to worry about 20-30 year old wiring harnesses and CPus.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
90-94 is good. Ford Ranger or Explorer/Mazda B4000 or Navajo. I'd suggest a donor vehicle. I didn't use one and the swap ended up costing me about twice what a donor would have.

The Mitsubishi transmission is stronger than you'd think. I made it 7 years on mine. It was very rough by the time I removed it though.

The wiring is the fun part. You can take the dash from the donor and make it (almost) plug and play. You can strip the donor harness to make a "standalone engine harness". I'd recommend finding another truck like yours and taking the last set of connectors under the hood on the drivers side and the bulkhead connector from under the dash of the dash of the donor vehicle to make an adapter.

Really all depends on what you can find for parts and how skilled or attached to the factory dash you are.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals