• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 2.9 oil pressure gauge install?

slc10844

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Need some help with a oil pressure gauge install. I searched TRS but was unable to find the answer to my question. I have a 1987 Ranger with a 2.9 and want to install a aftermarket electric oil pressure gauge to compliment the factory gauge package. The location of the factory sending unit is a bit tight and doesn't appear to be enough room for a second sender. Is there another access port on the engine that will accommodate an electric oil pressure unit? Has anyone installed two senders in the factory location, and if so do you have pictures? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Unfortunately there is only one port. Yea it is a tight fit but it can be done. Basically all you need to do is thread on a brass T fitting between the block and the 2 sending units. But that is easier said than done though. Tomorrow morning I will post a picture of what it looks like.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Unfortunately there is only one port. Yea it is a tight fit but it can be done. Basically all you need to do is thread on a brass T fitting between the block and the 2 sending units. But that is easier said than done though. Tomorrow morning I will post a picture of what it looks like.
That's what i did with my 2.9l and 4.0l. It was kinda tight but doable.

slc10844

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you able to post the picture?

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Yea sorry about that, I will take a picture tomorrow morning.
I just swapped out my electrical gauge for a mechanical gauge last week, but its done the same way. My nylon tube is pointed towards the rear of the truck, but you will have to point both your electrical senders strait off the block and the other towards the front, note how close my stock sender comes to the mount. There are different shaped T fittings so you have some options on how you can mount them.

oil senders 003.jpg

103_0181.JPG

Last edited:

slc10844

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just swapped out my electrical gauge for a mechanical gauge last week, but its done the same way. My nylon tube is pointed towards the rear of the truck, but you will have to point both your electrical senders strait off the block and the other towards the front, note how close my stock sender comes to the mount. There are different shaped T fittings so you have some options on how you can mount them.

View attachment 6851

View attachment 6855
Thanks for the pics. My factory sender is much bigger because my truck has a factory gauge. The sender comes off of the end of the adapter at a 45 pointing sorta forward. The adapter is plenty long and I have been thinking about drilling and tapping the adapter in an open area to install another sender.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
I hope it works out for you, maybe post a pic. when your done? good luck.

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
reviving old thread.... what tool would be best to get the old sender out of the block... pair of channel locks?

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
actually i got it out with a pair of craftsman channel locks... i already had a new oil pressure sender b/c i planned on replacing it because i knew from the area it was in, i was going to booger it up... and its cheaper than that socket, autozone 5.69$ lol

im just trying to get the right combination of fittings now to clear the engine mount

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i started to get pictures then the battery door on my camera broke... im planning on doing a full write on how to do this with pictures...

i dont know why but it seems like my extension is longer off the block than the pictures in this thread... it seems like my motor mount is even closer than the trucks pictured...

but i shouldnt have to worry because if this can survive... then mine can...

and mine isnt near as long

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Just curious, what motor is that in the picture?

honhon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the picture i posted is just a random picture from google, but i figure it shows how much faith people have in brass for not cracking under vibrationlol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals