• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 2.9 egr tube

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When I swapped 2.9's a few years back I chucked the drivers side manifold off my 87 motor and used the manifold off the 89 with the egr block off. So I've been running it with a bypassed egr, I want to reinstall the egr because I saved most of the parts and it should help my gas mileage a little. My question is I will have to make my own egr tube since mine is broken, and I will need the fitting on the drivers side manifold where the block off plug is now where can I score these parts? None of the salvage yards around here have any rangers with the egr 86-87..Has anyone made there own egr tube and could you share a picture of it, also does the tube get double flared?Thanks

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Actually on an '87 with the EGR blanked off it's better to finish the job of removing it and install an '88-92 computer.

THE problem with the EGR system is that the computer goes "ape Sh!t" when it detects a malfunction with the EGR system (which almost always does detect a malfunction)

Swapping on a computer that doesn't even know the engine is supposed to have EGR and finishing the job of removing all the control crap for the EGR, eliminates a bunch of vacuum leaks.

I'll bet you anything that if you reassemble it to make it work it won;t work.

Why? Simple the "Christmas lines (the Red & Green vacuum tubes to the
control solenoid on the fender behind the air box) are usually broken in atleast one place somewhere inside the split tube that conceals them on their routing from the solenoid to the EGR valve and vacuum port on the underside of the TB.

if those lines leak the system doesn't work.

AD

AD

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd love to throw an 88 and up computer in it, but I can't find one in any of the salvage yards around here. Finding ranger parts around here is next to impossible..I have all of the egr parts I just have to make a new tube, I'm certain the vacuum lines are in good condition

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have an automatic transmission......

I'll send you a 90 Ranger 2.9 Auto PCM for the cost of shipping it. EDIT: FREE PCM IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE
I have no use for it. Send me a PM if interested.

Last edited:

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
i rebuilt my 2.9l and in the teardown i snapped the egr tube. i saved the fittings and used 1/2'' copper tube. really easy and works like a charm.

i hope it helps!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
There is another excuse to switch to an '88 computer...

The '86-87 2.9's have a knock sensor

The knock sensor often interprets valve train noise as spark knock and the computer accordingly pulls spark timing which castrates power....

The 1988-92 2.9s don't have a knock sensor and thus don't suffer that issue...

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Earl thanks very much for the offer but sadly I have a manual trans.

NEVERDONE86 thanks I only have the one fitting that's on the egr now, I scrapped the manifold with the fittings and half the tube attached. Maybe I can source the fitting at a plumbing warehouse or ford dealer?

AllanD thanks for all the info I'm gonna try to just get the egr hooked up for now until I come across a computer

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Earl thanks very much for the offer but sadly I have a manual trans.

NEVERDONE86 thanks I only have the one fitting that's on the egr now, I scrapped the manifold with the fittings and half the tube attached. Maybe I can source the fitting at a plumbing warehouse or ford dealer?

AllanD thanks for all the info I'm gonna try to just get the egr hooked up for now until I come across a computer
yeah you shoud find them anywhere there are plumbing fittings. good luck. take pics because somebody else is going to have this issue down the road. i ran into the same thing and it helps when somebody has pics to show.

87rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
how hard is it to swap computers? do they just plug in with out changing anything? i have a 87 that the egr that dosen't work.

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again neverdone86 I'll take some pictures

I'm pretty sure it's as easy as unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in, can be found behind the passenger side kick panel.

87rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok cool i just don't want to have to cut wires

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Man I've been everywhere looking for some fittings so I can finish this tube, I found nothing that will work at home depot or the parts stores, even tried a plumbing supply house. 5/8 flare fittings have too coarse a thread and the 5/8" compression fittings have a thread that's close but the plug in the manifold is some metric size. Striked out at the salvage yards too.Anyone have an 86 or 87 there parting out maybe I could purchase the fittings or egr tube from? I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about perhaps that will help

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
here's a picture, I'm looking for the coupling that screws into the exhaust manifold and the female connector on the egr tube.Thanks

Attachments

87rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
you try running a tap threw it that is the same threds as the fittings you have? if its close that you shoud be able to run the right tap threw it and make it work

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Let me poke in the garage.

I took the original engine out of my 87 and tore it apart. I am not sure what I did with the EGR tube though. The intake manifold is still in the garage, but the heads and exhaust manifold went to Jersey for another member's engine rebuild. I don't really remember where the valve and tube ended up so I might still have them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals