• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 ranger utility bed 5.0

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The donor engine that was swapped in might have come from a wrecked squad car. The Crown Vics had Interceptor appliques under hood & on trunk lid. The special service package/police ( depends who you talk to & which Ford document you look at ) Mustangs did not say interceptor, now some state garages put the Crown Vic appliques on some Mustangs ( seen these from time to time at my dealership, we serviced 3 city/townships & some of the local state vehicles ) The state garage guys also put interceptor appliques on dump trucks/garbage trucks & street sweepers & some of there tool boxes had them as well . Also your intake shows HO & I also don't see the silicone hoses. still a very interesting Ranger & your build engine will power it very nice.

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
To clarify my above statement, Interceptor was just a sticker, the engines were the same as Mustangs except they had silicone hoses for radiator/water pump & heater core & they had higher rated alternators bigger & more grounding straps ( for all the electronics ). Crown Vics were just the towing package as well. Still think this is a great sleeper with your new engine. Just a suggestion, they used to make a dually conversion for these ( 4 stripes when you do a burnout ).

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Police Interceptor was a name for the car, not the engine. It's that simple.

obr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That's a lot of typing for something that don't exist. Wiki has been wrong before. Must be that. Cop ecm runs richer and a few other things that don't exist.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The SSP EEC (A9T) runs LEANER at high RPM than all other Ford EEC units of the era. It's only richer in closed loop, and it's a really minute amount of difference. 99% of the modifications done to the SSP Mustangs was for durability concerns and not performance.

"The A9T is another EEC that follows the same memory strategy as A9P. The A9T was tuned for the State Patrol 5.0L Mustangs in the late 80s and early 90s. They are rich-tuned in Closed Loop, but at WOT run a bit leaner than stock A9P. The stock 5.0L GT EECs are notorious for being overly rich at WOT to the point of loosing power."

http://www.v8-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1499&start=0

Honestly though, you'll never feel the difference between any of the A9 EEC's - The tuning on them is all similar enough that we can't really feel the difference.

obr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
a9t runs rougher im using a9p, runs smoother, better mileage better

thank you every one for the research you can find these
mustangs that dont exist in Florida also picked mine up for 1100$ drove it home!

obr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
why did ford make these?

Attachments

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
in the 90's, Florida State troopers did run Mustang LX 5.0's. from the factory, LXs were faster than the GTs, because they were lighter. the GTs had ground effects and a heavy hatch back. there were no engine differences, and since the LX weighed less, they could load it down with gear and wotnot, and the car can still perform like a GT.

:icon_confused:
wheres @19Walt93, he would know.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
A lot of states used Mustangs for highway pursuit vehicles but they didn't have those emblems. I suspect they're aftermarket pieces. NH stayed with the Crown Vics because a Mustang isn't a good winter vehicle, light, short wheelbase, and powerful, isn't a combination for snow covered roads.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I thought about a set of these just for grins...
  • 4.0 Liter V6 High Performance Engine Emblem in Chrome & Red - 5" Long

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The "5.0 Interceptor" badges are an aftermarket thing.

If memory serves me, I first saw "Police Interceptor" badges being used by Ford on actual police Crown Vics, but never on SSP Mustangs, and ever since then the aftermarket (China) has been reproducing their own unique versions of them. This was long after the start of "P72" cars which I think started with the LTD Crown Victoria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Police_Interceptor_(variant)#Before_the_Police_Interceptor

"The Crown Victoria was the first car of the Police Interceptor lineup. The first units were released in 1992, with a 4.6-liter Modular V8 engine and either a Ford AOD/AOD-E or a Ford 4R70W, which were both 4-speed automatic transmissions. Although the Crown Victoria did have police versions back in 1979 up to 1991, the car never used the Police Interceptor moniker. Those older versions, including fleet and taxi, were known as "P72" in production code. 1992 was the first year the Police Interceptor name was ever used, with these known as the Crown Victoria P71."

http://www.sspmustang.org/FAQ.htm

shorangerbird

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rare- no. Different-yes!

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Just spotted in Clarksville Tn. at the corner of Kraft st./Riverside dr. and Providence/41A a mid 80's ranger with utility bed & rear dually set up, was unable to photo or turn to follow, rear plate was Tennessee. Hope to see it again, told some friend to watch for it also to get photos. It was in good/clean condition ( I seen the front/pass side & back ).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals