• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Ranger Prerunner in NH

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some fiberglass up front so you can put those beams in! Youre gonna need them so might as well buy them now, so if wanna paint it you can. Shoot maybe a lockrer in the rear, or a rear bumper/tire carrier?

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
not sure these beams make it too much wider but i looked up some fiberglass and fiberwerx has both sides for $300 not too shabby. Shipping might be an arm and a leg though. Think I might built my own bumper/tire carrier once i get more practice welding. But thanks for the suggestions I like them!!

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not sure these beams make it too much wider but i looked up some fiberglass and fiberwerx has both sides for $300 not too shabby. Shipping might be an arm and a leg though. Think I might built my own bumper/tire carrier once i get more practice welding. But thanks for the suggestions I like them!!
They look like might be alittle wider than stock but its a good start. I was gonna run fibergllass fenders on mine and bedsides but, I don't know if I want to keep the bed or build a flatbed. Shipping might be expensive but I think you could call them before hand and ask how much it would cost. Building bumpers and small stuff like that is good practice. No problem, truck looks good.:icon_thumby:

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Thanks for the info MUDRCJ. I just read through your whole build. Love the progress and the truck looks B/A!!! :icon_thumby: I think my truck was that dark blue before the last owner painted it. Any ways heres a little update of what I did yesterday. Floor board on drivers side was swiss cheese so got a new panel from LMC. Cut it all out and the new piece fits pretty well, just some minor adjustments with a persuader and i will weld it in!!

Last edited:

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man, its a never ending project just like everybody elses truck.lol just pulled the motor thinking 302 swap. I think I might do some rust repair anyway since the motor is out and I can get to the front frame area.

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Yeah I love seeing other 1st gens still alive though! But I think the 302 swap would be awesome, most cost efficient and easier because of all the conversion parts out there. Plus I've seen a lot of people on here do it so good for references. Good call on cleaning up the frame its hard to get in there so do it while you can

Last edited:

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like the 1st gens too cuz they still have the more fullsize look to them than the newer ones.I think I might take the whole front clip off and the do the front, then take the cab off, then the bed so. Then I know the frame won't rust out from under the truck. The 302 is one of the easiest motors to swap into a 1st gen out of all the years from what I've read. Plus it will be nice to have some kind of get up and go compared to the 2.9

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Do it up!! and take plenty of pictures incase someone else is considering the swap in the future... :icon_welder:
Update, I am currently removing the front suspension. The getting new balljoints pressed into the lift beams and throwing them on!! hopefully before it gets too cold. Also making a short road trip to NJ soon to pick up a nice looking bedcage from a member on here!!!!:yahoo: And Im going to pair it with a 63" leaf swap. Currently hunting for leafs. Stay tuned pics to follow

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Got most of the suspension out except for the passenger side beam! The beam and radius arm bolts are out. Bolt that connects the two rusted and wont turn. Its just wedged in there, when i pull it either way the other side gets stuck. Any suggestions besides taking the radius arm crossmember out?

Last edited:

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Looks like a good start. You going to want to get rid of that radius arm crossmember anyways. The stock arms are way to short for any real travel #'s.

disturbedgoat21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 For now
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
none
Looks good grind n punch out the rivets holding the shock n coil towers u wont need those no more

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Well here are some updates! Traveled to NJ last weekend to pick up a bed cage from Nooch450!!! Build quality looks awesome, as does his bronco II build. Thanks again Dominick, I’ll be sure to send you some pictures once I get it all mocked up with a chevy leaf pack. Also I found out I hate rivets, especially in awkward places like directly behind body mount bolts!!!! Why ford why. Anyways all the front suspension is out after a lot of swearing and hammering. And I tossed in the new beams real quick just for a peek. Getting new ball joints pressed into them this weekend and reassembling everything. Unfortunately since I don’t have extended radius arms or new shock mounting locations both those brackets are going to stay for now :annoyed:
Thinking of buying the Harbor Freight kinker this winter, I want to start fabricating some of my own stuff. Start with a rear bumper and then radius arms and see how it goes.
Now here’s what everyone wants to see picturessss

Last edited:

disturbedgoat21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 For now
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
none
Sweet action do you know how long of shocks your looking to go yet and i wouldn't suggest the harbor freight kinker if your talking bout what i think you are i had one and had to make brackets to hold the pipe in place and filled it with sand n still couldn't make good bends i found it cheaper to just find a local shop to do it for me or spend the extra buck n get something like this
www.AffordableBender.com

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
Yes I'm talking about the "bender" from harbor freight. I've heard mixed reviews but seen some impressive successes. I didn't know about that website though thanks!

disturbedgoat21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 For now
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
none
If ur interested il sell ya mine have all the dies and its hardly used probably did bout 8 bends with before i got tired of packing sand lol i used exhaust clamps to keep the pipes in place

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals