• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Ranger Clutch Master to 1999 M5R2 release bearing

tjack96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Hi fellas, I've got something i wanted to run by some of you:

I'm doing an engine swap on my 1986 Ranger, and the transmission i have for it is a 1999 M5r2 from a 4.2L I know that the clutch master cylinder between the 1999 f150 that the trans came from is vastly different from the master cylinder on my 1986 2.9v6 ranger. This being the case, im working out how to combine the two pieces-the 1986 master cylinder, and the 1999 release bearing. Some months ago i spoke with another member here who did a V8 swap on his ranger using an externally mounted slave cylinder on his SBF bell housing. He spliced the rangers hydraulic line together with the V8 hydraulic line, connecting them with a piece of fuel line and securing it with double hose clamps. He said he put 1000 hard miles on that ranger with that set up and had no issues. My swap is different but my idea is to do the same with two different hydraulic systems between the above mentioned units (see the attached drawing for a visual reference). However, if there is a simpler way to splice them together, like at the nipple on the hydraulic line, then ill do that, but i wanted to verify this idea first just for ease.

Attachments

Southern Yankee

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The hydraulic lines should be the same depending on the type of connection at the slave cylinder, fingers or single clip. The other end should fit the present master cylinder no problem.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When I used a M5OD-R2 in my 90 I used a slave cylinder from a 90 f150 which has the same part number for a 2.3 ranger and master for a 90 ranger I also used the plastic line for a 90 ranger. Compare the pictures online of each part they should be similar to the older one.

Edit:
The fittings look the same ass a 90 f150 slave

You can use 3an line also goto my thread....

The fitting that goes into the master should be the same as listed from russel.

Also you can get one of these for the slave....

You will need a reduction for this one but it should work.

Last edited:

tjack96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I determined all this not long after i made the post, but now im running into another issue: I was stabbing in my transmission today (M5R2 swap) and all was going smoothly until the slave cylinder bottomed out on the pressure plate before the transmission had even seated fully. I dropped the trans again and inspected by slave cylinder: i was using a 1988 unit (p#LSC002B) in my 1999 m5r2 from a 4.2v6 just to make sure the hydraulic connections would match the 1988 master cylinder. I went back to parts store, got the slave meant for a 1999 m5r2 (p#LSC003B), measure it and found its slightly shorter. I haven't attempted to stab the transmission back in with the new slave, but i hope it clears up my issue. Nonetheless, i wonder if anyone has experienced this issue and what they did to solve it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals