• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Ranger 2.3 wont start.

Rangeriffic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey, Thank you for the replies. I was out of town for an Army school for a month so I can hopefully get promoted soon. I will be going back through these replies with a fine tooth comb and will be trouble shooting the relays as well as checking the coil and ICM in that order. If anything else strikes anyone that I have missed or perhaps you though of over the last month I have been gone, please let me know. Thanks

Jonathan

Rangeriffic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Quick update
FP relay us good.

Still having problems with the EEC relay, I'm on relay #2 and still having issues.

However, when I jump the load wires on just the EEC relay connector I get voltage to the PF relay and the EEC itself. FP primes for 2 seconds and have voltage at the fuel injectors and the coil.

Did the coil test and the coil seems to be emitting a very very small spark (almost undetectable, and sometimes not at all).

That's where I'm at right now, not sure if coil is no good or there is somthing I'm over looking

After pulling the plug to check the coil I know I am getting plenty of fuel.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EEC relay should have full time Ground for its coil, then it gets Key on power to Close it
Relay slots 85 and 86 are the key on 12v and Ground, they can be hooked up either way.

Corroded ground would cause intermittent issues
Ignition switch wire to EEC relay could have intermittent voltage as well

Check voltage at EEC relay 85 or 86, and at Coil's "+" terminal, both should read Battery voltage, so test battery first so you have a number, i.e. 12.3volt, 12.5v, 12.8v

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The coil will/should fire every time you turn the key from ON to OFF. The coil is energized with ignition ON, and builds a field. Turn the key to OFF, the power to the coil is removed, and the coil should fire. FWIW.
I'd take the coil wire from the distributor cap rotor position, and position it near a ground surface. Have someone flip the key ON and OFF, and observe. You should get a spark with each cycle. You do have a separate E-coil on the inner fender, right? I have an 85, and figured the 86 should be awful close.
Do you still have a no-start condition? Did you check alignment of the distributor rotor with the #1 plug wire with the crankshaft at TDC? The cam triangle viewed behind the upper radiator hose, aligned with the pointer? It won't work without those conditions being met.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals