• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1986 fuel pump cycling

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Been steadily working on the 1986 2.3, 5sp, 2wd project truck. It's been running awesome. We even swapped in a 8.8"/4.10 diff in preparation for a "down the road" 5.0/T5 swap...in the parts accumulation stage. But until then we are having fun rolling around in it.

Anyhow...the other day it wouldn't start. Instead of the fuel pump cycling on for about two seconds then turning off, it's running constantly and you can hear fuel trickling back into the tank. I'm pretty Ranger savvy but hate electrical issues...which I'm guessing this is. Ideas? I tried the search function already and didn't come up with anything.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Relay stuck on?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does Fuel Pump only run with Key ON?

If so then its not the Fuel pump Relay, but pull it out to make sure pump turns off with Key ON, it should of course
If it does turn off then most likely issue is the ground wire for this relay
Pin 22 on the computer grounds this relay for the 2 seconds with key on
This ground wire runs from pin 22 to the OBD1 port and then to the relay, if this wire is chaffed and grounding out then relay would be activated full time with Key ON
Or its a computer issue
You can test for ground at Fuel Pump slot in OBD1 port, should not show a ground after 2 seconds with key ON

OBD1 slot labels seen here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

If you connect test light or volt meter to battery positive and Fuel Pump Slot, Key ON, you shouldn't see voltage
If you do, try moving wiring harness around to see if it unGrounds, no volts, if it does this would mean a ground short in the wiring
If not then you will need to pull off the connector on computer to see if it unGrounds
If so then you will need to "pop the top" off computer and have a look inside for damage

If fuel pump is on with key OFF then yes fuel pump relay may be stuck closed, so bad

Last edited:

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'll more testing and report back.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals