• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Ford Ranget STX fuel filter location

Kenroethlisberger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Transmission
Automatic
1986 Ford Ranger STX - regular cab 4x4 - fuel injected with the 2.9L V6 - single gas tank

I bought this truck 6 months ago and it had a leak on the gasket at the top of the fuel tank. Being a procrastinator, I just didn't fill it up all the way and went on with life. After sitting for a couple months and us getting a bunch of rain, I started it up and went to go to the store real quick. Made it 2 blocks and it sputtered and died. Tried to turn it on and it just cranks. It led me to believe that I had gotten water in my fuel tank and clogged the fuel filter.

I have now emptied the gas tank and cleaned it out. I went looking for the fuel filter and for the life of me I cannot find it.

Fuel lines connect to the fuel pump that's in the tank. Runs to the first picture which I'm assuming is the cartridge style fuel filter??? Then it ran into the in line fuel pump that's the 2nd pic. From there it runs into the engine compartment.

Isn't there supposed to be a metal fuel filter that connects after the in line fuel pump??

I'm at a loss as to where it is or if my Ranger only has the cartridge style filter. Also - should I mess with with cartridge style one or leave it alone??

Kenroethlisberger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Transmission
Automatic
Anybody?? Should I try a different forum??

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The canister in your picture is probably a filter. I forget when the cutoff year was that kept the canister, but deleted the filter (permanently sealing the canister). My '87 STX had the filter inside the canister, contrary to some people mentioning that an '87 shouldn't. When I rebuilt the fuel injection system I replaced it with the filter-less canister (https://www.amazon.com/Ford-FOTZ-9K044-A-TANK-FUEL-RESERVE/dp/B000NU3IW4) because it was such a pain to remove that metal cover in a 4x4 Ranger, and not mess up the o-ring when reassembling it.
As far as the metal filter you mentioned, it should be nestled in the frame right after the frame mounted high pressure fuel pump that you also have pictured. It should be there, as I believe it is required for fuel injected Rangers. I've attached a couple images that may help. The filter is #9155 at the upper right and left of the first page, and in the middle right of the second page. The filter is covered by a metal plate, and attached with two bolts (I believe they are both on top of the frame, and the one towards the back of the truck is hard to get to), and a large hose clamp. I've always reused the two clips that hold the plastic fuel lines onto the filter, making sure they are re-inserted so they can't fall out.
'86 fuel system a.jpg

'86 fuel system b.jpg

Kenroethlisberger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Transmission
Automatic
The canister in your picture is probably a filter. I forget when the cutoff year was that kept the canister, but deleted the filter (permanently sealing the canister). My '87 STX had the filter inside the canister, contrary to some people mentioning that an '87 shouldn't. When I rebuilt the fuel injection system I replaced it with the filter-less canister (https://www.amazon.com/Ford-FOTZ-9K044-A-TANK-FUEL-RESERVE/dp/B000NU3IW4) because it was such a pain to remove that metal cover in a 4x4 Ranger, and not mess up the o-ring when reassembling it.
As far as the metal filter you mentioned, it should be nestled in the frame right after the frame mounted high pressure fuel pump that you also have pictured. It should be there, as I believe it is required for fuel injected Rangers. I've attached a couple images that may help. The filter is #9155 at the upper right and left of the first page, and in the middle right of the second page. The filter is covered by a metal plate, and attached with two bolts (I believe they are both on top of the frame, and the one towards the back of the truck is hard to get to), and a large hose clamp. I've always reused the two clips that hold the plastic fuel lines onto the filter, making sure they are re-inserted so they can't fall out.
View attachment 57876
View attachment 57877

Thanks for the very thorough answer. When searching fuel accumulator in this group - I found some better threads that help answer this question as well.

Here is what else I have found out. Some 1986 Rangers like mine only have the cartridge filter and no in line metal filter. In late 86 they added the metal filter under the cab.. and it seems in 87 they removed the filter from the cartridge.

My issue with replacing replacing the entire thing is the only canister I can find is a filter-less reservoir like the one in your link (and its $150 by itself). I don't think it's smart to run your fuel system with no filter at all besides the small one in the tank. I'd also want to attach a fuel filter after the high pressure pump just so the fuel system had some protection.

Is the fuel accumulator even needed? Seemed to me it was mainly needed for dual fuel tanks and hilly conditions with a half tank or less of gas. Couldn't you just bypass the entire system?

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you don't have the metal filter I would keep the filter/canister/reservoir. I thought my '86 had one, but it may not have. If you got the parts from an '87+ to install the metal filter you could remove the filter from the reservoir, check for leaks, and then forget about. When I bought the reservoir they were about $50, so I don't think I'd spend $150.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I would think a large enough metal fuel filter would act like the reservoir on it's own. If you wanna go that route. I know my 88 has both though.

bcschief

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The fuel filter is in the reservoir in the 1st picture it unscrews from the main housing. FF616DL is the Autozone P/N. Be careful removing and reinstalling this as they are plastic and no longer available. The shield is held on I think with 2 bolts.

Kenroethlisberger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Transmission
Automatic
Is the fuel line post supposed to detach like this??? And what should I use to attach it?

Kenroethlisberger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Transmission
Automatic
Pulled the fuel system off the truck but couldn't get the canister filter apart without the real fear or breaking it. Blew some fuel through it using my air compressor and I believed it was not clogged entirely and more than likely just bad gas. Hooked entire system back up and primed the line by removing the cap on tank and turning the key on and off so the fuel pump would kick on and off. After 20 times of doing this the truck started to fire a little bit. After 10 more times it started up. I let it run for as long as it was and primed it some more.

Truck is back to running and idling correctly as it should

Thanks everyone for their tips and tricks. Without your help this would not have gotten fixed by myself and minimal expenses.

seanandali

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
View attachment 58091Is the fuel line post supposed to detach like this??? And what should I use to attach it?
It is not I removed mine today and it came off in one piece I believe your plastic nipple broke also the bottom piece does turn use the oil filter wrench have someone else hold it tap it a few times on the bottom to loosen it up I got it off but it was a pain put Vaseline on the threads to make it easier next time

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals