• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 ford ranger timeing belt cover

WildDan92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/ranger
Transmission
Manual
i had to remove the timing belt cover all the bolts are 10mm bolt and one in the middle was a phillips ( star) looks like its to some spring on the back dose this do anything and how tight dose it need to be thanks

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
that spring on the inside puts tension on the timing belt, I always replace that phillips head screw with a hex head, dont know why they use a phillips there.

Attachments

WildDan92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/ranger
Transmission
Manual
that spring on the inside puts tension on the timing belt, I always replace that phillips head screw with a hex head, dont know why they use a phillips there.
so i just had taken the cover off to check the belt and it was all good and put it back on is thier and just hand tight it on is that good or dose it need to be supper tight or anything thanks for the help i also fk the thermostat up too someone did t remove the pulles to change it so im gonna have to get it tapped out now
thanks for the info and help

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you didn't build it; it's not really yours
Just curious but can the cover be left off? I have an oil leak coming from somewhere in front and I'd like to see from where.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It can be left off but it has your timing marks on it... so it's going to be impossible to set the timing without it.

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It can be left off but it has your timing marks on it... so it's going to be impossible to set the timing without it.
Right. The timing is ok for now. I need to see where this oil is coming from. I suspect the cam seal since I just replaced the head.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The original covers were completely made of sheet metal. I think the later covers took advantage of new plastics. The only reason for the cover is to prevent wayward fingers from getting pinched, along with rocks, pebbles, etc from the road getting between the belt and the sprockets with unknowable consequences.
When you set the timing on an 85, you need to pull the shorting block from the wire harness alongside the engine, and then set to 10BTDC by rotating the distributor. Supposedly the timing is fixed for a while after startup, but don't count on it when setting the timing. Didn't know there were any other 85's near ATL still on the road.
tom

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks for the info Tom.
Yeah, she was my daughter's first car and then became the farm truck/motorcycle hauler/parts chaser. Still going strong (well, sort of) after 230K miles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals