• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Ford Ranger Diesel

Tails1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for lack of updates, been busy :sad:

Can anyone please tell me how I can adjust my injector pump? I see many references of people mentioning that the fuel can be turned up or down. I think I need to turn mine down as there is lots of black smoke with even minor acceleration. The motor runs great, changed the oil twice only now too much smoke and boggy on acceleration. Also any books on these?

Diesel Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^^^^^ Me too

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry for lack of updates, been busy :sad:

Can anyone please tell me how I can adjust my injector pump? I see many references of people mentioning that the fuel can be turned up or down. I think I need to turn mine down as there is lots of black smoke with even minor acceleration. The motor runs great, changed the oil twice only now too much smoke and boggy on acceleration. Also any books on these?
My dad had a perkins diesel years ago, wished we never got rid of it, as I know more now than I did. Woulda been fun to play with for the same reasons you note...

Anyway your question. First things first: do you know where your injection pump is? All I can offer is poke around the pump itself for some sort of set screw or allen bolt threaded thing...whatever. If it's a mechanical pump there ought to be some sort of tightening or loosening mechanism on the casing. Read through this site and get a sense for what different things do on different mechanical pumps, and perhaps you can start to make something out of what you see on the exterior of your pump:

http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw/engine/fi/injpump.html

Tails1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My dad had a perkins diesel years ago, wished we never got rid of it, as I know more now than I did. Woulda been fun to play with for the same reasons you note...

Anyway your question. First things first: do you know where your injection pump is? All I can offer is poke around the pump itself for some sort of set screw or allen bolt threaded thing...whatever. If it's a mechanical pump there ought to be some sort of tightening or loosening mechanism on the casing. Read through this site and get a sense for what different things do on different mechanical pumps, and perhaps you can start to make something out of what you see on the exterior of your pump:

http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw/engine/fi/injpump.html
Thanks for the info, that link was helpful somewhat. My pump has an allen key adjustment on the top of the pump casing and also a slot screwdriver type on the back side of the pump body looks like what you would see on a carburator. I'm loath to meddle with them until I can find out what they do as I don't want to put the thing out of kilter.

Hopefully someone else here will know more.

:icon_confused:

Tails1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
^^^^^^ Me too
Can you post pics if this intake? I want to swap my factory one for something that connects to the turbo with a cone type k&n filter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals