• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Ford Bronco II build

Gen. Maintenance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
So I finally got me one. Last week I purchased a 1986 Bronco II that started its life as an automatic. The PO has the auto trans swapped out for the manual and also replaced the transfer case to non electronic hand select type case. Exterior (except for paint) is perfect! Not a single dent, no severe rust, and only 150k miles. So far I’ve given it a freshening up. New plugs, wires, distributor, fuel filters, valve cover gaskets all the basic maintenance things you would do to a 35 year old vehicle. Took old girl on her maiden voyage yesterday Had to start it at the relay and it ended in catastrophe. So far I’ve identified a heavy clicking sound coming from the front drivers side wheel, both my front brakes locked up, the truck over heated and the starter relay failed and now runs the starter as soon as the cable is applied to the battery, no I’m stuck with a no start situation. Can’t hear the fuel pump prime, won’t crank on starting fluid. Its all good though. I’ve wanted one of these since I was 15. Got a new master cylinder, axle shaft, wheel bearings, fuel pump relay, and a whole assortment of vaccine lines in the way. I’m mostly posting this To remind myself what I’ve done, but I hope it helps someone out as I beat the gremlins out of this thing.
C297A0B3-ABBD-4B17-AFC4-EEACE707A421.jpeg
89FA7BD6-9827-4E37-A511-7A06224BD309.jpeg
160289C9-52C2-4017-95C4-6D91F1290BE8.jpeg
04ED7702-A12F-4EB5-A21A-BE33CB926CCA.jpeg
1AE821A1-0E4A-4160-B9CA-1C4C6D5F8A58.jpeg
1AC4C907-7FD9-4A4B-BDAE-E1405A37EA6B.jpeg
C297A0B3-ABBD-4B17-AFC4-EEACE707A421.jpeg

Gen. Maintenance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Currently in a crank but no start situation fuel pump does not prime during koeo and no spark while cranking,

1.) replaced all fusible links with a fuse block and corresponding fuse sizes.
2.) attempted to reset inertia switch under passenger side carpet.
3.) tested fuel pump by jumping pins at fuel pump relay connector.
4.) checked for spark with spark tester at several cylinders

Trouble shot it as being a possible ecm issue, trouble shot ecm relay and connector by

1.) checking for proper ground at connector checks at 5ohm
2.) checked for incoming power at relay 12v
3.)checked for output power on relay (NOTHING)

So now I’m working on why I’m not getting any out voltage at the relay. If the fusible link is good and the connector is grounded it should be good.
Attached is a really useful link for how to diagnose a bad EEC relay or connector

Gen. Maintenance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
SUCCESS!!! I scored a few spare parts from the local pick n’ pull (EEC, Inertia switch, fuel pump relay). I had enough free time to put them all in and after blowing a bunch of what I thought were the right size fuses to replace the fusable links, I managed to get her to fire. The EEC relay gets warm and the wire from the starter relay to the eec gets HOT, but only the short section I replaced. I’m not really sure what’s going on the possibly to small a gauge of wire.

next step is to one at a time remove the parts I replaced and see which one was at fault.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks like a fun project, that thing is CLEAN! (at least the one side is anyway)

I would rather deal with electrical/mechanical than bodywork anyday.

Gen. Maintenance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! It’s clean all around it’s mind blowing. Everything body and interior wise is in the best possible condition it can be in for its age. Good bones are a big deal with any project I think

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Nice, my favorite color scheme too.

TimShannon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
I have to say, this project was indeed a success. I couldn't have done it better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals