• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 2 Wheel Drive Clutch Hydraulic Line Leak

Ted's Truck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum - thanks for having me.

About a month ago I loaned a friend some money and he paid a backyard mechanic to change his clutch and slave cylinder. The truck is now leaking hydraulic fluid and I think it is leaking at the slave cylinder connection and the backyard mechanic is not willing to help. The connection is the type with the metal clip (please see attached photo). My question: Is there supposed to be an 'o' ring at the connection? The attached photo shows an 'o'-ring of some sort, but there was no 'o'-ring when we pulled the line.

And one more question on a slightly different topic. Being that we removed the shifter and cover, is it acceptable to add the trans fluid into the shifter opening as opposed to the fill port on the side of the trans?

Thanks Very Much,
Russell

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's been to long ago for me on the clutch line... I'm sure someone else will chime in on that.

As for filling the trans... you could add from the top... but the level still needs to even with the bottom of the fill port. That will be hard to get it to the proper level unless you pull the fill plug and fill it from the top until it starts coming out.

Ted's Truck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply, Uncle Grump.
That's what I what I plan on doing - take out the fill plug and fill it from the top 'til it runs out of the fill port.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, there is an o-ring. The Ford slave cylinders come with a small envelope and these three parts included.

I’d get a small hand pump that screws into the top of a gear oil bottle (less than $10) and fill through the fill plug.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals