• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 2.9 5 speed 4wd trans won't come off

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you have the original style transmission, it takes the stinky gear oil. The transfer case takes dexron automatic transmission fluid.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
The bleeding process can be a pain! Especially the clutch master cylinder. Look’s like Franklin2 got you covered on the procedure he posted! Follow it and you should be good! Good luck with it!

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Brilliant, thanks for sharing that

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK, so it's all back together. But the (new replacement) slave is leaking somewhere. Pressing the pedal creates a horrible "spleugh" sound, and fluid leaks from the vent at the back of the bellhouse.
Please correct any assumptions, but I can't have poked the o-ring down as it's too narrow.
Is there a way to test/check if it's leaking internally? Unfortunately I don't have x-ray vision.
And I don't suppose there's a way to change it without pulling EVERYTHING back off again?

P. S. Yes I tightened the bleed screw

Last edited:

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Probably the o ring where the line connects! Not the o-ring for the line itself! Where the connector is mounted on the slave cylinder! That’s where mine was leaking past that o-ring every time I pushed the clutch! No there’s no way to fix it without dropping the transmission! You did put a new slave I’m sure! If so exchange it and if not you should have! I went through the same thing when I did mine! Make’s you feel like you wasted all that time working on it for nothing! It suck’s dude! Been there done that!

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
So you used a new slave cylinder sorry just seen it! Question is it a aftermarket or oem?

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. Yeah, a new aftermarket one, but it had good reviews - for what little that is now worth!
Does anyone know the oem part number? I wonder if I could get one here in the UK if it was used on something sold officially here (unlike my imported ranger).
Ah well, at least the first attempt was good practice. And I know no bolts are seized.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Hate it for ya, it suck’s! Like you said at least you got practice now lol! The piece your line hooks to has an o-ring in the back side where it connects to the slave! My first one, you could spin it pretty easy! That’s where my fluid was leaking! Probably yours too. Common issue with aftermarket slave’s like this! Check it when you get it pulled out! About bet you it’s loose right there! Be sure to check the replacement out for this problem. Should feel resistance if you try and spin that piece! My second one felt better when I checked it, so I took a chance! Throw out bearing on it is a little noisy, but it’s not leaking! So I can live with it!

Hope this gives you some insight on what to check out!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hate it for ya, it suck’s! Like you said at least you got practice now lol! The piece your line hooks to has an o-ring in the back side where it connects to the slave! My first one, you could spin it pretty easy! That’s where my fluid was leaking! Probably yours too. Common issue with aftermarket slave’s like this! Check it when you get it pulled out! About bet you it’s loose right there! Be sure to check the replacement out for this problem. Should feel resistance if you try and spin that piece! My second one felt better when I checked it, so I took a chance! Throw out bearing on it is a little noisy, but it’s not leaking! So I can live with it!

Hope this gives you some insight on what to check out!
Do they have a special App that puts a exclamation point at the end of each of your sentences? Or do you do that on purpose?

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
I really don’t think it matter’s to be honest. Your the only one on here that has a problem with it and to be honest I DON’T CARE what YOU think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I really don’t think it matter’s to be honest. Your the only one on here that has a problem with it and to be honest I DON’T CARE what YOU think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't say I had a problem with it. I was just curious how it worked. I have seen people do it before however it happens.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Before another post headed the wrong direction happens...

Just don't do it.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
No worries uncle Gump! Don’t understand why some have to do thing’s they do! Supposed to be a place to help each other and share information.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have found a genuine Ford slave, so now waiting for that to arrive,so will start pulling it all apart again.
I am concerned that fluid may have got on the new flex plate - I really don't want it to delaminate, and necessitate another clutch change...

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Check it out when you get it taken back down. Thought the same thing on mine but it was dry as a bone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals