• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1986 2.3 Truck cutting out

Cody86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am new to this forum thing. The prefix thing didnt have a 2.3 86 option. My 86 ranger 2.3 5 speed started acting up a couple weeks ago. I was pulling out of drive way and soon as i get up speed to about 2-4 gear it started acting like it was stalling out and jumping like it was trying to cut off then would back fire. I pulled over and drove back and didn't do it. And it dont do it in first gear. Thought one of the plug wires was arcking so i taped it up and drove it the next day and did fine. Then next day it started it really bad and couldnt even get outa 1st gear without it back fireing and acting like the fire was going in and out. So i replaced the plugs/plug wires/distributor cap/rotory button. Still continued issue so replaced the ignition module on the distributor. Drove it to work and did great until halfway there and started it again. So then i replaced the fuel pump on the rail and the fuel filter. Also replaced the coil to. But still has same issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated cause i am running out of ideas.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey Cody, welcome to TRS
I can't help much with the engine but wanted to say hello and welcome
Somebody will be along in time and maybe give you some ideas

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If it is 'cutting out' and 'backfiring', it may be lean. Have you checked fuel pressure AND delivery volume? If the 'lift pump' in the tank is failing, or the sock on the pickup is clogged, it may be the pressure pump on the frame rail is not being fed enough fuel to provide the engine what it needs. You can hook up a fuel pressure gauge with diverter valve and run the engine at idle. Open the diverter, and catch the fuel for a measured time. Calculate GPM using volume and time from the diversion. I think(no spec) about 6-8 GPM is in the ballpark. The pressure regulator should also be checked using the gauge, again engine at idle. Note the pressure, and remove the vacuum line, note the pressure. The pressure with the vacuum line disconnected(plug with a thumb for engine smooth idle) should increase. If you smell fuel in the vacuum line, the diaphragm is likely leaking, and you need a replacement regulator.
You can watch the engine run at idle in the dark, hood open obviously unless you have x-ray vision, and see if there is arcing from the plug wires. My 85 had a light show when I checked one time, and I replaced the plug wires to eliminate the bucking and misfire.
It is possible the plug wires you installed are not good. Check the ohms from end to end. You should get a steady reading and the ohms should be something like 10k ohms per foot of plug wire. If you get OL on the meter or very high ohms, the wire is suspect. An open wire means the spark has to jump inside the wire in addition to jumping inside the cylinder. That leads to misfire.
tom

Cody86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the advise. I got it figured out last week. It was the pick up pump in tank.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals