• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 ford bronco 2 stalls when put in gear

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After you unplug the 2 wire connector use a volt meter or test light on the 2 wires, key on engine off
Should be 0 volts
If you see volts then either ground wire is shorted or computer is grounding the control wire, unplug 60-wire connector on computer, then re-test, to find out which one is the issue

85FordBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for all the info here. I will certainly give this a try.

here’s a little more background on the truck:

initially the truck started having this stalling issue & I was able to get it back going by revving the engine up to higher RPMs and pulling the shifter into drive. It started back running fine and not stalling for about 3 weeks. Then my fuel pump went out.

I replaced the fuel pump & a week or so later the stalling issue was back. Coincidence or not?

i have replaced all fuel filters ( rail, in-line and at carb) and put on a new fuel pump.

I wanted your thoughts as to if it could be a fuel issue causing the stalling? Truck will crank, idle, and rev up with no issues at all. It only stalls when put in gear.

thank you

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But it won't idle in gear correct?

85FordBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Correct. It will lunge forward then die when put in any gear. Idles great in park and neutral.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For sure an "automatic clutch" issue, AKA torque converter, lol

85FordBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Well it has a new torque converter installed now. I will unhook the solenoid that we installed & test as you mentioned.

If this solves the stalling issue, can the truck be driven without the solenoid for the short term? I have ordered the new one from O Reillys that matches the original one that I pulled out that was “stuck”.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, since the first automatic transmission there was no TCC lock up, it was added in the 1980's for better MPG
Torque Converters will lock up on their own, its called "Stall Speed"
But it doesn't happen at lower engine RPMs or MPH so lowered MPG quite a bit when cruising around town, no direct drive so an always "slipping clutch"

No TCC will just lower MPG a bit won't hurt trans or vehicle at all, torque converter will still lock up on it's own at highway speeds

85FordBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
I was able to take out the torque solenoid last night & unfortunately the same result is occurring. Cranks and idles fine. It dies when put in gear. I’m at the conclusion that it is the transmission after all that we have done to it.

I am thinking about swapping for a manual transmission. Any thoughts or suggestions?

thank you

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Seems like a radical change
TCC is all in the valve body, what does a new valve body cost, it can be swapped without removing transmission
It reads like you have a pressure leak in the valve body's TCC passages causing lockup as soon as engine starts and pump is working
You would need the 1 solenoid model, 2 solenoid model was 1988 and up A4LDs

Different transmission options here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-ranger-transmission-swap-options/

Article here on auto to manual swap: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/a4ld-to-f146-mitsubishi-5-speed-swap/

I think I would look at 4.0l M5R1 4x4 manual transmission vs FM model manual, they were more reliable

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals