• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 Bronco II A4LD to FM146

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey guys,

With all the drama I've had on my A4LD and trying to get it to work, I'm ready to ditch the auto and convert to a manual.

Just for you that don't know a little history. I've completed the duraspark conversion with a HEI module on my 85 with the 2.8. I tried to get the TCC lock up to work on the A4LD, and I failed. I tried to get the A4LD fixed and it has been a process.

I would like to just ditch and auto all together and get a manual trans to match my manual T-case, manual hubs, and manual locks and windows.... Less stuff to worry about in this 35 year old rig.

Anyhow I know there has been multiple write ups on the swaps. I know many will recommend the M5OD over the FM146, but the M5OD will require me to swap out more parts to make it work vs a FM146.

The list of items I need:

1) Clutch Pedal Assembly
2) Master Cylinder
3) Pressure Plate
4) Pilot Bearing
5) Slave Cylinder
6) Clutch Kit
7) FM146
8) Shifter and boot

Please add post anything that I have forgotten. I plan to buy new most of the things on the list.

I believe the FM146 is the same length as the A4LD, so my drive shafts should work.

Does anyone know how the manual t case linkage differs between the A4LD and the FM146, or is it the same?

I believe a FM146 will be up to the task on a stock BII with a 2.8.

Any feedback is appreciated.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I found this for reference as well:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
You'll need a manual transmission flywheel, in place of the auto's flexplate. And if memory serves, I'm pretty sure that the clutch kits I last used included the clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and an alignment tool. The pre-bled master and slave cylinders I highly recommend; I used Perfection part number PF9015 - Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder Kit. It was literally a bolt-in and it works, although I did bleed it for good measure.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You'll need a manual transmission flywheel, in place of the auto's flexplate. And if memory serves, I'm pretty sure that the clutch kits I last used included the clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and an alignment tool. The pre-bled master and slave cylinders I highly recommend; I used Perfection part number PF9015 - Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder Kit. It was literally a bolt-in and it works, although I did bleed it for good measure.
Thanks for the part number Robbie, that kit will be perfect. Just want to confirm it will fit my application.

Doesn't sound like the swap would be too hard. I'm just going to try and get Bronco home and get the auto out. I've found a few trans that should work.

I'll just have to order the clutch kit, the kit you mentioned, flywheel, pedals, and a trans with a shifter and boot.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Do double check that part number for your '85 2.8L application. Mine is a 1990 Bronco II with the 2.9L.

Another thing I liked about the Perfection was (in my case, anyway) that both cylinders were made of cast aluminum, not plastic.

Keep us posted on your progress. I want to see you eventually driving your B2, with a big smile.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do double check that part number for your '85 2.8L application. Mine is a 1990 Bronco II with the 2.9L.

Another thing I liked about the Perfection was (in my case, anyway) that both cylinders were made of cast aluminum, not plastic.

Keep us posted on your progress. I want to see you eventually driving your B2, with a big smile.
I've got an email into perfection's tech department. thinking out loud, I don't believe the firewall every changed on the BII. I know the FM132 you used is for 2WD only, but maybe it will work since it is still a Mitsubishi trans?

How has he FM132 held up? Still shift good and all??

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I've got an email into perfection's tech department. thinking out loud, I don't believe the firewall every changed on the BII. I know the FM132 you used is for 2WD only, but maybe it will work since it is still a Mitsubishi trans?

How has he FM132 held up? Still shift good and all??
You'll need a 4WD trans; if I remember right, the cases and the output shafts are different. Bear in mind though, when you're searching, 2WD B2s aren't that common, but they will have a 4WD trans and a dummy T-case (rather, "half" of a T-case). Only very late 1990 B2s got 2WD transmissions. Mine is one of these, but unfortunately it was born with an A4LD.

It's been about a year, but I haven't drove the converted B2 that much. The trans I put in shifts great, but has a growl in 5th, so it needs at least the updated 5th gear bearing and sleeve, and I may replace the gear cluster too. And then a couple of months ago, the motor suddenly lost oil pressure (otherwise was in great shape). I've just not had the time to deal with it, but I need to pull the trans, put an oil pump in the motor, and then pull extension housing off the trans and see what I can do there. I can't find a transmission shop that wants to work on something that old, so I'm going to have to learn how to do it myself. Hopefully, this winter.

I know that M5OD is a stronger trans (I have / had several), but honestly, I really like how smooth the Mitsu trans shifts, and I don't dog my trucks (since I'm old and slow, and also the "fixer" of anything that breaks) so I think the Mitsu's are fine for a stock street truck.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You'll need a 4WD trans; if I remember right, the cases and the output shafts are different. Bear in mind though, when you're searching, 2WD B2s aren't that common, but they will have a 4WD trans and a dummy T-case (rather, "half" of a T-case). Only very late 1990 B2s got 2WD transmissions. Mine is one of these, but unfortunately it was born with an A4LD.

It's been about a year, but I haven't drove the converted B2 that much. The trans I put in shifts great, but has a growl in 5th, so it needs at least the updated 5th gear bearing and sleeve, and I may replace the gear cluster too. And then a couple of months ago, the motor suddenly lost oil pressure (otherwise was in great shape). I've just not had the time to deal with it, but I need to pull the trans, put an oil pump in the motor, and then pull extension housing off the trans and see what I can do there. I can't find a transmission shop that wants to work on something that old, so I'm going to have to learn how to do it myself. Hopefully, this winter.

I know that M5OD is a stronger trans (I have / had several), but honestly, I really like how smooth the Mitsu trans shifts, and I don't dog my trucks (since I'm old and slow, and also the "fixer" of anything that breaks) so I think the Mitsu's are fine for a stock street truck.
Hi Robbie,

I believe the FM145/FM146 only came as 4x4 trans in the B2 (maybe the Ranger?) as this was the time frame they were using the dummy case.

All the 2WD rangers used the other trans options I believe. I owned a M50D behind the 300 straight six in my first F150 I owned, I wasn't that impressed with it to be honest.

I talked to the shop this morning, they still believe they can find another auto trans or fix this one..... I'm going to give them to the end of this week to come up with something, or I'm going to just bring it home and fix it myself with the swap.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The FM-132 is basically the same trans as a FM-146... it's just 2wd, not easily adaptable to your application without swapping some internals and a 4x4 tail housing.

I don't think an M5OD swap will require much more than the FM swap as far as parts go. I think maybe just a different block plate and starter? If that. They're the same length as your A4LD and much easier to find in good condition - the older transmissions were hard to find in working order 12 years ago when I got into RBVs.

I do like how the FM transmissions shift though, Robbie has a good point there, although their reputation for being pretty weak makes that a moot point.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The FM-132 is basically the same trans as a FM-146... it's just 2wd, not easily adaptable to your application without swapping some internals and a 4x4 tail housing.

I don't think an M5OD swap will require much more than the FM swap as far as parts go. I think maybe just a different block plate and starter? If that. They're the same length as your A4LD and much easier to find in good condition - the older transmissions were hard to find in working order 12 years ago when I got into RBVs.

I do like how the FM transmissions shift though, Robbie has a good point there, although their reputation for being pretty weak makes that a moot point.
The biggest issue I am having with planning all this is the clutch hydraulics.

Does the FM146 use an internal or external slave?

Also, I'll have to dig up a reservoir from junkyard I believe.

Like I said, I'm giving the trans shop to the end of this week, then it will be all systems go and I'll bring the thing home.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Everything made after '85 or so has an internal slave cylinder, including both the FM146 and M5OD. There are just minor differences in the slave cylinder itself and how the hose attaches to it but nothing that can't be overcome easily.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like my A4LD may have been resurrected from the dead.....

Might put this on hold for a little bit. I will update this later.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals