• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 2.8 Carb Adjustments

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
IIRC you rotate the choke body to make the fast idle screw align with the V (#4). Hold the throttle open a bit so it does not get hung up on the stepped cam and rotate it into position where it aligns with the V. Then set the fast idle speed by turning screw #4. The #5 screw adjusts how far close the choke plate is, independent of the idle speed - this set how rich the choked mixture is.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just when I think this thing is working right, I have another issue.....

Now it will stall out on me (I assume because it is flooding) if I don't let it warm up for a while. Only way I can restart it is to crank it for a while and hold my foot into it. Eventually it will come back around and run. But this has happened twice in the middle of the road. I have to really rev it to get it to stay running. Then once it is warm, no issues the rest of the drive. It only seems to happen in the first 5 mins of running.

Also, last night trying to leave work I guess I flooded it and absolutely could not get it to start. It took me an hour of fooling with it to get the flood to clear and get it to run.

My thoughts are right now is that the choke isn't opening fast enough, or I have it set too tight. I don't have a choke index on this carb; I assume because the choke was never meant to be adjusted due to emissions. I'll try loosing it a little today and rotating it towards the front of the bronco.

This engine floods very very easily...... Some of this can be Operator Error, but the stalling to me sounds like the choke still isn't right.

Carb gods, please lend me your advice.... @RonD @Uncle Gump @19Walt93 @kimcrwbr1

Edit: also I hooked the thermostat on the choke back up to the original wiring. I had moved it to the alternator at one point, but this weekend I wired it back up original wiring. Choke has done the same thing both times with both wiring.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
We all said... you will have to experiment. You will find the right way... you have to solve the puzzle.

The choke could very well be to tight. You're on the right track... loosen it up. Maybe adjust the pull off to help add a bit more air... maybe turn the fast idle up a touch. Experiment!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We all said... you will have to experiment. You will find the right way... you have to solve the puzzle.

The choke could very well be to tight. You're on the right track... loosen it up. Maybe adjust the pull off to help add a bit more air... maybe turn the fast idle up a touch. Experiment!
That is the sole reason I'm driving it to work everyday this week!

As long as I'm in the right mindset I'll experiment. It sucks stalling in the middle of the road!!

I'll open the choke up some. Man this can get frustrating!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Take a deep breath...

If it does flood on start up... block the choke plate open.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Take a deep breath...

If it does flood on start up... block the choke plate open.
Deep breath taken..... LOL

Here is the issue, it will run fine in the driveway at idle, until it drops in gear (auto trans) on the road it will die until I have run it for a while.

I blocked the plate open yesterday and could not get it to start without laying starting fluid to it, but I must have really flooded it.....

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I wouldn't turn the cap leaner, I'd try changing the pull down adjustment first. It sounds like you need to set it with a little less pulldown. One of our salesmen years ago had a V8 Granada demo that would stall on takeoff cold, I set it to spec, rechecked it twice after he complained, and he still wasn't happy. I had him leave it at the shop one winter morning and start it with me in the car, it took right off and within 5 seconds he had it in drive at about 1/2 throttle and it stalled and was hard to restart. I ended up with the pull down at .090" to compensate for his driving habits.***If your Bronco has been flooded you should check the dipstick for a gas smell and probably change the oil.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Great point Walt... One of the worst things with a choke is their ability to foul perfectly good oil when they act up or aren't right.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wouldn't turn the cap leaner, I'd try changing the pull down adjustment first. It sounds like you need to set it with a little less pulldown. One of our salesmen years ago had a V8 Granada demo that would stall on takeoff cold, I set it to spec, rechecked it twice after he complained, and he still wasn't happy. I had him leave it at the shop one winter morning and start it with me in the car, it took right off and within 5 seconds he had it in drive at about 1/2 throttle and it stalled and was hard to restart. I ended up with the pull down at .090" to compensate for his driving habits.***If your Bronco has been flooded you should check the dipstick for a gas smell and probably change the oil.
Just to confirm, when you say pull down, you me the vacuum pull off?

Also, one thing I would like to make sure I understand, my vacuum pull off does not move until the engine is running. I've read that the starting turning the engine over would move it, but mine does not. It has to be running before it will actually pull off the choke.

Note taken on changing the oil. I'll do that soon.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One more question..... When it is stalling after start up like you describe. I assume it is because it is flooding, right? From what you are telling me to do it sounds like I should make the pull off tighter than more open? Wouldn't that cause a richer condition? I think the pull off is .250" now.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Back in the day we used a wooden clothes pin on the choke plate so it couldn't close all the way :), a proper DIY fix, as long as it doesn't hit the air cleaner top it will allow choke plate to open all the way

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I think you'll find .25" is too much pull down. You're measuring at the top of the choke plate, right?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think you'll find .25" is too much pull down. You're measuring at the top of the choke plate, right?
Yes, I am. I also think I am having some binding in the linkage. I tinkered with it last night and seems to be better. I'll keep checking on it and see what happens.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Reviving one of my old threads for a question.

I don't have the carb on B2 that I had so much trouble out of, I now a non feedback 2150 from a pinto.

So, here is my question. I have the carb set up well via a vacuum gage. It runs great, doesn't seem to have any real issues.

The only time I have any issue is on a cold start. I pump to accelerator a few times, and it fires right off, runs for about 10-15 seconds, then dies. Have to pump it some more then it will run take off and run then. Is that sort of normal?

And the only other problem I have if hasn't run for a few minutes on a cold start is I have a dead hesitation in the throttle. It only happens if I come to a stop after running for a min or two before it is warm and then try to take off.

Once it is warm, no issues at all. Any suggestions? I believe I have the V notch and all the pull off set correctly.

@Uncle Gump @RonD @19Walt93

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals