• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 Ranger. Toyo 5-speed hydro comment replacement and line help

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
However much it goes up when I get my fat ass out.
Total Drop
How much it goes down when my fat ass gets in.
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
So, I bought both master and slave cylinder off rock auto and I also got the hydro line.
Right off the bad after comparing the master it won't fit. After looking at the line I bought it won't work either. It seemed like im supposed to bend/flex it but Im worried I might crack or break it and then I won't be able to return it. The slave fits and its the right part 95% sure. (It seems a little longer, thicker, and its also metal with a bleed screw/nut) I just dont know how to get the line off the existing line to fit it onto the new slave incase I have to go down that route.

Please if anyone has any info that can help! Please inform me! I can't find crap on this online. Only on the newer ranger. I dont know why though. Wouldn't there be equal amount of info?

Thanks, Max

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Those lines are really durable. You can probably bend it whatever way you want... just don't kink it. It is supposed to go over the frame and kind of under the cab by the pinch weld - it's very hard to get it in there and it helps to lift the cab up a hair by putting a pry bar between the frame and floor.

The line can be removed from the master cylinder by removing a tiny little roll pin right where it goes into the master. It then just pulls out. You can probably reuse your existing line unless it's damaged - I have never purchased a new one.

What's up with master cylinder? IIRC they are all very similar and mostly interchangeable between 83 and 1992/3/4 but there are some variations.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
Those lines are really durable. You can probably bend it whatever way you want... just don't kink it. It is supposed to go over the frame and kind of under the cab by the pinch weld - it's very hard to get it in there and it helps to lift the cab up a hair by putting a pry bar between the frame and floor.

The line can be removed from the master cylinder by removing a tiny little roll pin right where it goes into the master. It then just pulls out. You can probably reuse your existing line unless it's damaged - I have never purchased a new one.

What's up with master cylinder? IIRC they are all very similar and mostly interchangeable between 83 and 1992/3/4 but there are some variations.

Thanks, I did manage to remove the old line along with master and slave cylinders. They were both leaking and the push rods were soaked.
The master had a lot of rust looking fluid on it. Im gonna use the new one I got since its nice and clean and Id rather not have to worry about the age of it causing an issue down the road.

As for the wrong part (Master) heres a picture of it. I thought it would be smaller and would fit as Rock Auto had it in their parts list for my truck. If you go check now, Its gone and not listed anymore for some reason.....

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Oh. Yes. Definitely not the correct master cylinder. There was never one of those in a Ranger to my knowledge, they all have a remote reservoir. I'd return that, it was probably an error on their end.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
Oh. Yes. Definitely not the correct master cylinder. There was never one of those in a Ranger to my knowledge, they all have a remote reservoir. I'd return that, it was probably an error on their end.
I thought so. I just thought it was a newer/better design. I thought wrong but big error on their end. It even had a Heart
  • hearts
    Heart icon
    mark parts we sell most often for each application.
That was a copy past from their site.... I wonder how many people bought and had to return this thing.... Im gonna buy the right one off Amazon since I can get it by sunday which is nice. Both are leaking like crap. I did a vac test on it and the slave returns on its own as well as the master

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1984 Bronco II. I didn't realize it till after I bought it, this was like a 1 or 2 year wonder. That got away from that external slave very quickly. The flywheel and transmissions were oddball also. The pilot bearing is in the crankshaft, so the transmission shaft is longer.

I bought my Bronco and got a deal because the trans was bad. I didn't know that it was so different. But luckily my plan B did work, I used the trans, flywheel, clutch. throwout bearing, master and slave all from my 1986 ranger. With some guidance, it all bolted in place. That was the one thing that scared me, the info on this site said all the different brand manual trannies used in the rangers were different lengths. I did a quick tape measure survey and they seemed very close to the same. It had a Toyo Koygo 5 speed in it, and I swapped in a Mitsubishi FM 145 trans. It all bolted up without a hitch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals