• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 ranger 2.0 intake ???

maddoxk40

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
First off I new to the forum and hope I'm in the right place? Anyway I have a 84 ranger with the 2.0 lima. The previous owner went through and gutted the smog control and this motor has the water heated intake manifold, witch he has ran back to high side heater core hose. The problem is I keep blowing head gaskets the head has been checked and think maybe the line he used from the intake may be to small and creating a hot spot causing the blown gaskets. Is this possible or what should I be doing.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Seems like the right place. The small line from the intake that snakes around the back side of the head connects to a tee on the exhaust side of the engine, into 'normal' sized heater hose.
Blowing head gaskets would be caused by bad surfaces on the head / block, over pressure from a turbo, overheating, incorrect torque on the head bolts, gasket installed improperly - reversed or upside down, goop/RTV/sealer put on the gasket where it is not required, and maybe more...
I would check the head and block surfaces for straightness using a steel straightedge. I would inspect the surfaces for any remaining gasket from previous installs. I would make sure that I am torquing the bolts in proper sequence, and taking the torque up in steps of 20-30 ft/lb.
I would also make sure that the alignment dowels are still in the block so that the block, head and gasket are properly aligned. The alignment dowels are actually little cylinders that fit into drilled recesses in the block and head. The hole for two head bolts has an extra bore pass made that is larger than than the threads which allows the cylinder to fit into the recess in both the head and block, and keep them aligned.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals