• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0L ('83-'88) 1984 Ranger 2.0 - Carburetor replacement

sffranco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi , my '84 Ranger has the 2.0 Lima motor and was wondering if it was safe to simply get a replacement carb (simply 1 bbl w/ electric choke). The truck was given to me couple years ago and have no history on it. I want to replace carb and was wondering if there were any recommendations for carb and/or intake manifold.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 7FA902352B4C01: April 5th, 2021

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Back then, the 1bbl was the 'economy' version of the Ranger, used on the 2.0 version. It may have been used on the 2.3 as EFI was coming into use, but not for all states.
You can get a 2 barrel Holley/Weber that has a mechanical secondary, but may need to replace the intake manifold to match the bolt pattern. The 2bbl was used regularly in performance versions of the lima. You may find it searching for 'lima race parts' or a similar web phrase.
I think 85 was the first year for a 5-speed transmission. They allow you to have a slightly performance final drive without having the engine spinning huge rpms on the freeway. More acceleration and decent mileage at cruise... You would need to figure out a clutch mechanism as most are hydraulic vs cable operated.(I think).
If your 2.0 is kind of tired, a 2.3 or 2.5 should make a noticeable difference, though you would have to change ignition.. and a lot of other stuff depending on which you chose. I think a 2.5 crank & pistons can be fitted to the 2.3 block, and maybe a 2.0 can be bored to 2.3 piston diameter. I don't know if the blocks are the same, just the bore diameter being different.
tom