• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0L ('83-'88) 1984 RADIATOR REPLACEMENT (sourcing a new one)

Ranger43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
1984 Radiator 2.0l 4cyl. I have been unable to locate a new one to replace the current one I have now. Mine maybe is repairable but would like to replace with new if possible. I live in a bigger city in NC and all radiator shop just closed down and will have to drive almost 1hr one way to get it fixed. Basically the filler neck came off while trying to put a new hose that goes from the tank to the radiator. It was leaking and think it probably was leaking from that seam because it still was leaking after I replaced the cap. 1-800 Radiator says they are out of stock and to check back every 3-6 months. LMC gives me no options for this year model. All major stores if they were in stock are priced at 500+.

Just reaching out to see if anyone maybe has a new old stock one or what my options are maybe here.

Thanks

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most of the early first gens have a bracket that cradles the top of the radiator, not the two tabs that bolt on like the later trucks.

If that one would work so would pretty much any parts store one.

Not sure what it would take to retrofit a later radiator but I would check into it. The bottom mounts are welded onto the crad support with rubber bushings for the bottom pins to float in, the top ones are just holes in the radiator support with extruded J nuts.

Ranger43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, the one from ebay im on the fence about due to their seller rating and most of the listings don't include the 84. By looks of it though I may have to try and see.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'd try to retrofit one from an '86 or newer truck. RockAuto has them for about $100... The lower mounts would be pretty easy to make, just a couple pieces of flat metal with holes for the pegs to slip through and some big rubber grommets... upper mounts you could just drill some holes in the core support and use bolts.

I don't think that eBay listing is correct, the mounts are obviously for a later 1st gen truck.

Ranger43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I ordered a 86 Radiator off Rockauto and the lower mounts are touching the lower mounts on my truck. Im assuming you could just cut them off (pegs on Radiator) and go with upper mounting like Shran and bolt to core support? The left side is only side that won't fit down in the OG mounts on the truck.

My plans are to document this process and post here because im sure it maybe become harder to find replacements for this year and engine size.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals