• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 ford ranger 4.0l swap

chayse brooks

Reaction score
Does anyone know what has to be done to fit in a 4.0l v6 into a 1984 ranger. It has the 2.8l v6 but it needs more power and good gas mileage as this is my commuter truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EFI will help gas mileage but a 4.0l doesn't really "sip" fuel, lol, you would be around the 16mpg range.
2.8l, 2.9l and 4.0l all have the same transmission to block bolt pattern.

You will need pretty much a whole donor vehicle since you need to swap over all the engine compartment wiring, and fuel system.

Good articles here on engine swaps: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-engine-fuel.shtml

Since you are after better MPG and more power, which generally don't go together, lol, a 2.3l Turbo swap would be something to consider.
4cyl turbos get the better 4cyl MPG when you keep your foot off the pedal, but have that extra power when you want it.

Or throw caution to the wind and do a V8 swap :)

These all entail about the same amount of time, 2.3l or V8 would require different transmissions from current 2.8l trans

Last edited:

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
"Good gas mileage and more power' shouldn't be in the same sentence. The 2.8 is a good engine and its "computer advances" can be rectified pretty easily. One can still get a decent cam along with a 4 bbl manifold and small carb. I say go SBF and don't look back!

Last edited:

chayse brooks

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I know that with more power the less mileage I will get but I figured a bit less mpg wouldn't mater if I got more power. I just want to swap something that has a good ratio of both and if I shaped a 302 in what is about the most I could get out of it mpg wise

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1995 Fuel injected 5.0l(302) shows 13 city, 15 combined, 17 highway with manual trans in a 2WD F-150, you might do a little better with less weight in a Ranger, but if you have a 4x4 then it would be about the same.

Less weight and less friction = better MPG
So empty truck with skinny tires will get better mpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals