• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 carb 2.0L starting/vacuum issues a long time coming // need help or good shop suggestion in Brooklyn NY!!

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
soon-to-fire up 2.3 turbo lima
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
This is for my 1984 2.0L 4cyl carbureted, automatic trans, no ac, no ps

D7DA93DE-3BF2-43A0-9C6B-C641A6271969.jpeg

It never ran 100% but had been starting way better since I replaced the starter motor, coil, spark plugs, cap+rotor, battery, soaked and rebuilt the carb.

I almost always needed to pump the gas before and after starting to keep it alive while it warmed up and immediately give it gas when i put it in drive or else it would die.

Recently it had been starting pretty rough and i would have to give it a lot of gas after starting to keep it alive and it was as if something was trying to choke it when starting, or it sounded flooded or something.

Now it cranks and i can hear the engine engaging but it never gets beyond the “flooded/choked” phase and doesn’t keep an idle even when i press the gas.

Video of me trying because i’m very desperate:

Battery is good, I replaced the rusty mechanical fuel pump just in case and it does seem to be getting gas (swapped the carb for a spare one I got and the bowl was full of fuel).

It got AAA towed to a shop that refuses to work on it because they say “it’s the carburetor”. Meanwhile I went over the vacuum diagram and tried to make sure everything was where it belonged and there’s some stuff happening.

(Carb tag says Motorcraft E5PE BBA A7F 19)

First, this nipple on the carb is connected to nothing, it’s the 3rd one counter clock wise if you start on the left side of carb. On diagram, I think it’s supposed to be a yellow line going all the way to the vacuum reservoir..

And here’s a better view of what’s connected to what (left side of carb), used spare carb for clarity

Looking at the vacuum diagram under the hood, it seems like that’s the yellow line that goes to VRESER, but there’s nothing, and what I think I identified as the VRESER doesn’t have a yellow connection:

Please help, it’s my birthday and I want to go visit my family, this thing must start!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That is definitely a manifold vacuum source. vresver… Vacuum reservoir... run a vacuum line from the port on the carb to the reservoir... or put a vacuum cap on the port of the carb.

Not sure it will start after that... but it probably run really bad with the vacuum leak.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
After reading your post again... I would either block the choke plate open or just loosen the choke spring and rotate it so the choke is wide open. You can always give it more attention later to get it working properly. If it was closed and you've been cranking it and pumping the pedal... it is probably flooded. You can try holding the throttle wide open while cranking and see if she will fire... if not... pull and inspect the plugs. If wet with fuel... install new ones. While plugs are out... disable the ignition... and crank it over a few rev's to expel the fuel... use a towel to catch the spray. Install new plugs and fire it up.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
OK... one more post.

I remember the days when a fuel injected vehicle showed up not running and the mechanic would say... oh... it's that fuel injection crap... you're gonna have to take that to the dealer.

Talk about my career coming full circle...

Good Luck!

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
soon-to-fire up 2.3 turbo lima
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
OK... one more post.

I remember the days when a fuel injected vehicle showed up not running and the mechanic would say... oh... it's that fuel injection crap... you're gonna have to take that to the dealer.

Talk about my career coming full circle...

Good Luck!
Haha yeah those must have been interesting times..

Thanks I’m gonna try those things!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals