• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 atc125m

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'd just go through it. It's stupidly simple, and 99% of the time, the float needle valve is the only thing that needs replaced. Unless the float bowl has a gasket that rips.

I can go through a Honda carb from start to finish in less than 30 minutes easily.

I use brake clean, being careful to not spray it on o-rings or gaskets. I clean it with an old toothbrush with the tip ground thinner. I pull bristles from a brass brush to clean the tiny air and fuel ports.

If you like to clean the outside to look like new, the Harbor Freight "suction style" soda blaster works like a charm for that.

As for the carb being for a bigger engine, if you can get the jets at a local cycle shop, just drop the size of the main jet one size and that'll likely take care of it. Or look up the jet sizes for the 90 and switch to those. If your exhaust is more free flowing than original, then the 110 carb will probably be fine as-is.

GB :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I haven't even really looked at the carb other than to make sure it had one when I bought it, it is still hanging on the throttle cable on the trike in the barn.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well anyway, I was changing the furnace filter before the big freeze and poked at it while I was down there. Jeeze, I need to just get this thing together, the side cover is corroding terribly.

So I dragged it upstairs and hauled it to work to play with at break. IIRC (I need to go back thru this thread) I just needed a gasket kit to throw this on, change the rocker arm cover to fit in a 110, pull the flywheel and solder a wire for the armature over there and the base engine is done. Then I need to play with the carb, clean the fuel tank and in theory it should run/drive.

I need to go look for numbers, the good engine is a 90 and I don't know what year it is.

I get this one done then I can pull the engine out of the wife's, totally explode it and change the case on it.

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I had a atc 200 for a few years, was a lot of fun but nearly wore out. Smoked like a 2-cycle (it wasnt) Last fall I came across a yamaha 3-wheeler, thought about it but they wanted $1,000 for it. Id rather have a3-wheeler than a quad.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a atc 200 for a few years, was a lot of fun but nearly wore out. Smoked like a 2-cycle (it wasnt) Last fall I came across a yamaha 3-wheeler, thought about it but they wanted $1,000 for it. Id rather have a3-wheeler than a quad.
Three wheelers ain't cheap, especially the big ones.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Depends where you are in the country. Cali seems to have a killer trike market where a 200x can be had in running rideable condition for around 800 bucks. Up here in maine.. that same trike would be 1200+ IF you could find one.

Its why I'm building my 200x from parts lol. Itll be a bigger initial ivestment.. but im gonna end up with a MUCH nicer rig that won't need any more work for a good long while hopefully.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure why, anything decent is over a grand here. Why my $150 110 is kind of a pile...

Oh yeah, side quest. Dang corn fuel just sticks to everything!

You can tell by how clean and dry the exhaust port is that this is a pretty fresh rebuild too. :yahoo:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyway picked some corn...

Sandblasted and cleared the rocker cover/motor mount

Went to install this cover... and the screws just fell in the holes. The holes in the drum are stripped... yay.

So I hauled the 110 parts motor over and pulled the drum off of it

Rocker cover is on, gasket surface is clean, case is cleaned out... ready to assemble tomorrow?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Getting there!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Can I have that corn?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can I have that corn?
Sorry, you took too long. Somebody else already spoke for it.

"new" clutch installed with better oil filter plate and bearing.

All the clutch bits with the oil director installed:

More clutch bits plus new gasket:

After installing the side cover I checked the valves, intake was a little loose, exhaust was right on. I went back and forth and ended up using the 90 cover, I will probably have to adjust the clutch. I ended up judging by the total lack of care the 110 received the clutch would need adjusted either way and I had already stuck the 110 back together before I thought about the clutch adjustment being in that housing.

In theory... ready to run?

Pulled the armature out of the 110, I need to fix a wire on it and then I think the 90 is complete enough to run minus the carb which I pulled off the trike over the weekend so I can go thru that.

Also tried to pull the chain out of the 110, it seems jammed in the case around the sprocket and since the engine is seized I can't really force the sprocket to turn easily. If I could pull the flywheel I could take the cases apart... looking closer and noticing the jackolantern tooth situation on the 110 I think if it runs halfway decent I will just snag a new chain.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
If you look carefully at the pictures, you might be surprised how many parts are on ebay. Those engines (and some axle parts) are compatible with much of the chinese 110-125 quads. It's fairly common to swap whole engines into older Honda frames. I wouldn't even be surprised if a little work could get one the quad rear fender sets to work.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been drooling over a new Lifan as I don't have super high hopes for this 90. Like $480 for a new 140.

Kick start and I won't have the hi-lo though. :unsure:

Big concerns are while it feels like it has decent compression how shot the engine is and if I can get the armature/magneto to work. There doesn't seem to be any option for retrofitting a later CDI ignition on these things and the chinese stuff is totally different (crankshaft taper etc) so that can't be retrofitted either.

I see armatures from time to time on ebay for $100, they don't look much nicer than what I have and have about the same guarantee.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Those points covers look suspiciously like the one on my 78' XL350. It converted to CDI easily with an ATC185 ignition pickup and China Z50 clone CDI module. I did order a spacer from John Ayscue.
I asked for just the spacer and bought the rest of the parts elsewhere.

Just make sure the CDI is correct for your electrical system. AC (has it's own wire from stator) is most likely since it has points now. DC would only have a wire coming from the battery/charging circuit to CDI. If you can make the pickup fit, you can run either one. DC can even be run on just the battery.

Edit: Just thought of something. What about swapping the crank to use the chinese stuff? Could go for one with more stroke at the same time if it exists.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I go that deep I would probably start over, who knows what else got changed. I could see that turning into building a later/Lifan one piece at a time.

I did come across a thing where the Lifan kick starter interferes with the rear fender badly but there is a place that sells a pullstarter kit (more $$)

I think the problem with the ignition anyway is they cloned a later engine, my 90 is a generation older than what they cloned.

And my 110 engine/trike is a '79 so no dice there.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals