• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 2.8

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
How boost friendly is the little colgne 2.8?

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
they boost it in the u.k....even twin boost

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
I assume that is after extensive internal modification? Not that I'd ever get it done, but I have an old M112 and intercooler laying around, and for some reason thought I might like to try some day. Again, I'll probably never get it done..... Good to know they get it done across the pond, though. Could make for an interesting rig if I ever get the time to try it.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
thinking of doing it my self

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Back in the days of the 2.8L Mustang... Yes they made a 2.8L V6 mustang, and it used basically the same engine. IIRC the main differences are in the heads and cam, with the Ranger's version being stronger/better. Back then there were turbo and twin turbo set-ups available for it. I wouldn't want to do it to a stock never touched 27 year old motor, but as long as boost was kept low the stock internals could probably handle a little. You wouldn't need much to make a big difference. I had considered that as a future possibility for my 84's motor. I did a "stock" rebuild with a hotter cam, and thought about going forced, but before I even hit 5000 miles I totaled the truck. After that I decided I was going to put the motor into an 86 body then play with it (possibly to include turbo) until I found either a 5.0 Ex or a 3.5L Ecoboost to swap. Plans changed when I found a complete running, but rolled, 98 Ex for $500. Hadn't gotten the 86 close to being ready for a motor but couldn't pass up the deal, so wont be using the V6.

If you try it I'd love to hear the outcome. I'm keeping the motor and attached goodies in hopes that I'll find a future home for it. Won't be a Ranger, something smaller just don't know what yet.

EDIT: Just remembered something that might be of interest. In the past while researching performance mods on the 2.8 I had to look outside the ranger world to find a good following on these motors. It seems that these engine are still a popular motor for the Ford Capri in Europe. There's also a lot more parts available for it over there, from my understanding many of them will still fit our version. On the US side of the globe, apparently the 2.8L is a popular swap engine for the Sunbeam Alpine, makes it a step between the stock Alpine and the Tiger (V8 version of Alpine). I recall when I was looking seeing a few references to turbocharged or supercharged 2.8L Alpines. It's been years since since I was looking so I can't remember details or where I found them but might give you a direction to look.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Im still trying to think of how to do this on a carbed engine other then a blow through carb setup. Only other way is to put the TBI set up on (been there done that) and then you may have an easier way of doing this.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Blow through carburetor, turbos were around before fuel injection.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
had a chance to buy a european turbo'd 2.8 a couple years back. was running and only $500. they wanted another $1000 to mod the exhaust, swap sides for the ps/alt, and instal it in my ranger. didn't have the money or i would have gone for it for sure!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals