• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 2.8 head/gasket cooling mod...

MillerAPF84BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask, "What's the worst that could happen?"
While browsing this forum for improvements to my little 2.8 v6, I stumbled across a tip to improve the cooling that calls for drilling holes in the heads, using the gasket as a guide, between the cylinders where the exhaust valves are neighbors. Since I'm just getting ready to reinstall my heads after one of them went to the machine shop for a burned exhaust valve, this tip naturally caught my attention.
So, has anyone tried this? Results? Details (how big a hole is optimum, how big is useless, how big compromises the integrity of the casting, etc...)? I would really like to have a reliable foundation to try the DuraSpark/Holley conversion on, and maybe later the fuel injection conversion. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hi, yes i have done this in my 78 pinto engine.... i have a link to a book in here and it gets all explained give me a minute to find the links

and currently rebuilding another 2.8. and will also be re-drilling these heads too.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
read through this

MillerAPF84BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask, "What's the worst that could happen?"
Thanks, Angie. Seems like there's lots of good project info in that book! Wish I had seen this way before I was ready to throw the heads back on! The 5/16" figure was just what I wanted to know. So, tell me, the Pinto with the v6 - it's a blast to drive, I'd wager...

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hi, yes the little pinto is a blast to drive ... only problem is .... if you are in a hurry to "just go to store and pick up 1 thing" and drive the car there.... be prepared to be stopped when you park it and talk to someone who A- used to own one and has a story or 2 about them ... B- wants to hear all about the one you are driving as they haven't seen one in 20 years .... C- will tell you about one they had, there brother had, there brothers cousin had ... and it had a V8 in it and went real fast ... then i ask, how long did it survive till it hit something? usual answer is about 6 weeks till it was totalled ....

when we first got the little car it was a rescue non driving basket case. 100% complete, but was sitting for 20 years under cover on a guys fathers' farm. he had sold the property and needed to get the car moved or scraped. well long story short ... it took us a few years to strip it down and put her back together. and 1 move between the start and ended project made for interesting times...

the car is a blast to drive, i would love to tear things apart again on it and redo some items from the first build as now i have more experience doing a couple other projects from then.

if interested in following the build from day 1 here is a link to the build pages.

cheers

MillerAPF84BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'm going to get into your build thread as I get some time off this month. It's the same thing, though, with my wife and me and our Fiero's - everybody has a story or a million questions. Still, driving them is worth the "forced" interaction. I guess that's the price we have to pay for owning and driving something different. 'Til next time, be careful and enjoy your days! - Chris

MillerAPF84BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Just finished drilling all four holes in the heads. Super easy. The hardest part, which is probably not 0.0001" critical, was positioning the center punch. The passage on the exhaust side of the head, there's no question when you're through. Have to be a little more judicious on the intake side. Can't wait to get these heads on and fire the engine up!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals