• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1983 made side turn signals from side markers

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
The truck is an 83, and i like the look of the front side markers! however started thinking about how un-safe it was going to be at intersections when turning as the turn signals are hard to see when they are down in front. It hit me to make the side markers flash, so i played with numerous ideas about grounds, using relays and other (internet concoctions) when it occurred to me that I was looking at the solution backwards.

Was able to get a second set of side markers from junk yard and in process of gluing a second set of light holders onto the old ones and rewiring the holders into the turn signal system. giving both side running lights and turn signals.

cheers

If you do this mod, I used a hack saw blade to do the cutting. (not in handle for better control of blade) and notice that the holders are marked LH & RH this has an off set angle to the holders. besides that fairly easy and straight forward to do. and will make an easy extra turn signal system :)

forgot to add, drilling the hole for the light to shine through is the delicate part. do not push hard and hit the yellow lenses... it will surely bust open and then there will be a problem. i made a small drill hole in center then sat for an hour + with blades and carved it out by hand....

Last edited:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
from the files of "What I learnt" ....

If you attempt this, here is what I would have done different.

1. The new holders I would have raised up a bit more closer to the original one. When placing back into the fender the hole where the back of the light holder goes into is tight. If i would have looked closer before gluing i would have raised it more to accommodate for this. as it is I had to xacto knife the holder in back where the wires enter the holder. Yes it works, just an added step that could have been avoided.

2. I had to beat the fender in a bit to make the holder fit, (not the fender sides) there are 2 side rails that the light holder press into to be held tighter. Not a big deal and not noticeable.
However, the light marker itself does sit 1/8 inch out from being true to the fender's side panel. no big deal for me, I can live with it. :)

(hope this works) 2 short tube vids.

cheers

https://youtu.be/Wza32prEJMU just sig

https://youtu.be/rR4dN_snWwQ both

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all, I want to give a short update about this project....

at least 4 weeks back I went to local pick n pull seeking different side markers to use as the new donors. pulled 4 different sets from different cars, and found that Jaguar front side markers made the best fitment when I re-did the second pair. I am hoping to be able to redo the write up over the next week. Took mega pictures and will submit a word doc of how to. cheers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals