• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1983 351W/E4OD Swap

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys, finally got the truck finished about a month ago. Holley sniper works like a dream and having a electronic controlled OD trans is awesome. I'll post some pics soon.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well since you lifted it for clearance why not lower it for height. 3" suspension drop should cancel out 3" body lift right? Not sure how it would turn out looking though.

Mostly replying for more on how you like that EFI system over the long term. Dad has a 68 Ford with a 390FE, I've been thinking about putting it back on the road with one of those kits.

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
Actually I want to eventually get a long travel suspension setup. I think this truck would be fun as hell with all the power and the ability to run anything over. The sniper system is awesome. Its super simple to install and tune. I did have a few issues with the tune as it started learning. But Holley was able to walk me through fixing them.
[URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/Benhojo/media/5_zpsrwx5bjpm.jpg.html][/URL]
I might make a Youtube video in a few days and will upload a link of it. If there is anything you would really like to see lemme know. otherwise I'll just show the basics.

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
All right guys finally got around to making a video of the truck. The snow has been brutal here in Michigan.. Temps near zero don't help much either..:icon_surprised: Here is the link to the video though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7qOZYS-OI4&feature=youtu.be

Happy New Year. Hopefully this inspires some people.

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
Guys I'm having a issue with the timing on the swap. I have the Holley dual sync dizzy controlling the timing on it from the Sniper system. I'm having a issue finding how much total timing the stock 351W needs? Anybody know the factory specs? As I have mentioned it is a 1996 351w out of a E-150. I can set the timing to whatever I like easily, I've started at 34* and noticed some bogging at full throttle. So I changed it to 32* and this is where I have it now. It made the bogging a little less but I'm having issues trying to match the AFR now with the change in timing. So I want to completely start from scratch with the engine but I can't seem to find the correct specs for the stock engine. I figured the factory setting will get me to the ballpark as its basically a stock engine. Different intake is all. Any help?

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
Quick update, trucks been running great. Had some issues with original Sniper unit. Holley said it was s/w issues because my unit was so new when I did the swap. Anyway I sent it in, they loaded new software and has been running great since. Just put led light bar on. . ?

87fiveoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tri y headers for a 64-70 mustang with a 302 will fit with some frame notching on the pass side

i know this is from 2017... but the tri-y headers will work with the 351w also? i’m about to go from 302 to 351 just curious on the headers myself.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i know this is from 2017... but the tri-y headers will work with the 351w also? i’m about to go from 302 to 351 just curious on the headers myself.
that’s what I’ve used. Will take some frame rail rolling on the right side. But not a big deal

87fiveoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that’s what I’ve used. Will take some frame rail rolling on the right side. But not a big deal
it’ll be awesome if i can still get them to clear. i had to roll the passenger side when i used them on my 302 swap. are you saying more rolling will be needed?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it’ll be awesome if i can still get them to clear. i had to roll the passenger side when i used them on my 302 swap. are you saying more rolling will be needed?
really will depend on the engine mounts you use. So I can only say, you might. Or might not need more rolling.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals