• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1983 351W/E4OD Swap

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
New member - 09-Feb-17. Started a 351W swap a few weeks ago. Gonna be running a E4OD automatic trans. I obtained the engine from a 1996 Econoline van. The truck started as a 2.8L/C3 bone stock truck. I did a 2 barrel Holley carb swap a few years ago on the stock engine, never really ran right. Even after downsizing jets and accelerator pump cams it is just way to big of a carburetor. Any way I decided it needs much more power :D, so hence the 5.8L. I've been planning on using the stock ecu and intake from the van. After spending a few days with the wiring I gave up. Next plan was to use one of the mult-port retrofit fuel injection systems from FAST or Holley. After finding out they do not make instructions for the kits I scraped that idea. So new plan is Edelbrock 7581 intake manifold with Holley Sniper Efi system. Gonna get a US Shift Quick 4 Trans controller for the Trans. I had to go out of town for 3 weeks but when I left had started cleaning up engine bay and removing unnecessary stuff. Ripped up the rubber flooring and insulation and found the floor pans rusting from the top down. So cut out all the floor panels including trans tunnel before I left. No chance of fitting the E4OD in the tunnel without mods. So finding the rusty floor actually made it easier to cut out the floor. I will try to post some pics of the truck and what I have in progress later today.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Might check out FiTech fuel injection systems, they are pretty advanced, have a screen so you can see what it is doing and are not priced too bad.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a fun project. I've read a lot about the holleysniper system. Gearz tv had an episode where they installed one. I like the system a lot.

While I didn't finish my swap. I did have a 351w in my 90 ranger (same under the hood) so I can give you a few heads up if needed

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
Might check out FiTech fuel injection systems, they are pretty advanced, have a screen so you can see what it is doing and are not priced too bad.
I have looked at FiTech efi systems and while the cheapest one does come in at $700 I have read some bad things about them. The Holley Sniper is also more advanced than anything under $999 which is how much it costs. It will support boost up to 12 psi I believe and control timing. Look it up on there site, it is a really cool system for the price.

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like a fun project. I've read a lot about the holleysniper system. Gearz tv had an episode where they installed one. I like the system a lot.

While I didn't finish my swap. I did have a 351w in my 90 ranger (same under the hood) so I can give you a few heads up if needed
Yes the Sniper should be a very cool system, they have a video on Youtube where they install it in under 2 hrs. I will need some help on headers, I don't think I'm even gonna mess with headers that go inside the frame rail, just seems like a mess especially with the big E4OD. But will need some help finding headers that exit outside the frame rail, or I will build some. thanks

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tri y headers for a 64-70 mustang with a 302 will fit with some frame notching on the pass side

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
Tri y headers for a 64-70 mustang with a 302 will fit with some frame notching on the pass side
I'm gonna stick with headers that exit outside the frame rails. Rather not lose any frame strength. And seems just like a pain in the a** to work on if inside the frame rails.

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
So finally got some free time to upload some images. And had to figure out how! haha

So this is first year i bought the truck, drove it up to MI from Kentucky, this is just after I put new tires on it.

Rebuilt original 2.8L about 2 years ago, had C3 trans rebuilt abut 6 months later.

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic

Been using it as a work truck ever since. Put 15'' rims and some General A/T's on it last winter.

Floor when I ripped out vinyl floor and insulation few weeks ago.

Did get pans and tunnel all cut out for E4OD install and new Metal.

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic

And mocked up and primed. Like I said before i'll be out of town until 24th Feb. So had to protect it somehow. When i get back I'm gonna stick the engine and trans in then weld up the floor. Make a trans tunnel then get the engine plumbed up and running. Have quite the pile of parts waiting for me when I get back also. Holley sniper Efi kit, US Shift quick 4, edelbrock manifold, summit aluminum radiator, Oil filter relocator, misc. tubing and fittings. Depending on my work schedule I hope to have this truck up and running again by end of April. Depending on weather here in Michigan also.. HAHA

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
Been looking at the wiring for the transmission controller, and found out I will be needing a vehicle speed sensor (vss) for the controller. The trans I have doesn't have the vss and would require a older style tail shaft to run one. I've been looking online and found that some of the 8.8 rear ends have the vss built into the diff. Anybody know what years will have the vss? And are any of those years 56.5'' wide? I could run the wider axle if I had to with spacers on the front but i'd rather use the stock width 56.5'' that I have now if possible. Any other option for running vss? Any help would be appreciated.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
The truck started as a 2.8L/C3 bone stock truck. I did a 2 barrel Holley carb swap a few years ago on the stock engine, never really ran right.

Hi, welcome to the TRS.

Just a curious question about the Holley you placed on the 2.8.... Was it the 500CFM 2 BBL, or the 350CFM 2 BBL?

I run a 2.8 that's been redone with custom ground cam with tons of customizing to the engine when i built it for my car. I still wouldn't dream of placing the 500 on it for that would be way too big. I was thinking of getting the 350 carb before so this post made my attention.

cheers

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
The truck started as a 2.8L/C3 bone stock truck. I did a 2 barrel Holley carb swap a few years ago on the stock engine, never really ran right.

Hi, welcome to the TRS.

Just a curious question about the Holley you placed on the 2.8.... Was it the 500CFM 2 BBL, or the 350CFM 2 BBL?

I run a 2.8 that's been redone with custom ground cam with tons of customizing to the engine when i built it for my car. I still wouldn't dream of placing the 500 on it for that would be way too big. I was thinking of getting the 350 carb before so this post made my attention.

cheers
I was using the 350 cfm carb. It just way to bog for the stock engine. I had to jet down 12-15 sizes just to get plugs semi clean. Many changes to accelerator pump cams also. I did give it a chance it it's just to big, I believe the stock motorcraft carb the engine came with was around 180-200 cfm. I'm not sure what you've done to your engine but I've see calculators online to help in selecting the right carb. I have seen a 2 barrel TBI system from Edelbrock I believe off that's something they might interest you? Probably pricey but should allow for many changes and ease of use. Btw everyone I have gotten the engine I just need to find some time to upload some pics. Still working on getting Transmission in. Much work to be done.

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
Its been a while, but I have gotten a lot of work done on the truck. Engine and Trans are in. Rear axle is out. I ended up getting some 3/16 Stainless steel for the motor mounts. It fit quite nice on the stock v6 mounts.
I painted the engine compartment with por15 and then rattle can over it. Came out decent.

Last edited:

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
At this point I got real worried about fitment issues. But it fit.
Still working on the plug wires and waiting on the Holley Sniper Efi which seems to get pushed back more and more every time I check the status. :sad: Trans is in Also, and what a pain in the ass it was.
More to come hopefully sooner. Should be putting a body lift on tomorrow and working on the floor. After getting the trans in I realized a body lift was a must do. I wanted to keep the truck low as possible but the trans is just way to big. It would force me to have no foot room while driving to keep it the stock height. so body lift and lowest floor I can squeeze in. This is gonna be my daily driver so I want it to be comfortable. I still have not figured out headers. A fab shop by me quoted $1700 to have them made.:thefinger: I told him he was crazy. So I will probably end up making my own. I've seen header weld up kits on speedway motors for around $150.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals