• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1983 2.3 Swap or Build

WriterDirectorL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1983 Ranger with a 2.3 and a manual 4-speed w/overdrive. I am planning our my restoration and am not really sure what I want to do about the engine. The stock 2.3 was rated around 85hp.

Option 1: Rebuild the stock 2.3 and then add a few upgrades like cold-air, k&n filter, better exhaust system, upgraded ignition, simple bolt-on stuff.

Option 2: Swap the engine out for a newer fuel injected 2.3 with more hp, such as a 2006 or later.

I know lots of people build the old 2.3s for dirt tracking and such and there's plenty of parts for them. I read the 2006 later 2.3s are rated for around 140hp and I'm not looking to smoke the rear tires off, so the 140-150 hp range would be fine.

I know upgrading the existing 2.3 can gain me some horsepower without having to worry about changing wiring harnesses or transmissions. I do know upgrading to a newer 2.3 would require some wiring changes, but not sure if the trans will still bolt up.

Anybody tried these and have any advice? If upgrading to a newer 2.3 and the tranny won't bolt up, does anyone make a bellhousing adapter or would I have to change transmissions and...? I'd appreciate any knowledge, advice, or links to resources that could help me decide.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

In mid 2001 Rangers got the 2.3l Duratec DOHC engine, no relation to your 2.3l Lima SOHC engine, so different transmission needed, also OBD2 computer to run it.
IMO this would not be a good swap, a V8 swap would require the same work and cost, so go V8 not 2.3l Duratec

I would rebuild your current 2.3l, they are good engines, if you want power then do a turbo conversion, Ford did it and they run well, Lima engines like the turbo :)

Bolt on stuff is fine for looks, there is no power gain.

You can make your 2.3l a 2.5l, stroke it, ford made these stroked 2.5l Limas from 1997 to mid-2001, then the Duratecs went into Rangers.
Same block as you have now and same pistons, different crank and connecting rods

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Agreed with thee aforementioned ^^^^ I own two Lima 2.3 powered rangers by nature they are slow

check out esslingerracing.com just google they have been makin good power with em for years

if your looking to go turbo witch isn't that hard look at stingerperformanceparts.com but does take alot of reading you'll have to plan it out so each part balances out others like lots of boost takes more fuel and an Intercooler but I caution you your drive train is really only good to about 200 HP before you start breaking things even then I'd be easy

you could look on crane cams website for a good cam and check out hot rod high too there's some good Info there also look through our tech library we have here

everyone else is gonna tell you to just v8 swap it tho it makes the most sense money wise but I still have plans for a 2.3 turbo in the future I love these little motors:icon_thumby:

Edit: honestly youll find more info faster if you just Google search "Ford 2.3 performance parts" then the time it would take for us to tell you

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think a Duratec swap would be cool, but it would be a fair bit of work.
The Lima 2.3T is the cheaper, easier solution for sure.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

WriterDirectorL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the information! I think I've made up my mind now to just go with the turbo 2.3 Lima option. As I said I only wanted to get it up to around 150hp because I know the trans and rears won't stand up to too much more. I'll make sure to keep those tech articles handy too!

Thanks.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
No problem you just make sure to put up a build thread for us to read lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals