• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1983-1984 v6 radiator replacement

notecharlie

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
To save someone else the trouble I went through since I couldn't find any documentation:

1983 and 1984 Rangers (and bronco II) have a different radiator mount than later Rangers, and have a standard copper radiator. In replacing the hoses, the draincock and upper outlet came off cleanly on mine. Since the nearest radiator shop is something like a 2 hour drive away, I don't trust my brazing skills, and a running truck is more useful than one that's not, I attempted to order a replacement from Advanced Auto despite the $450 cost. They immediately cancelled my order. Autozone's replacement ($550) didn't ship in 2 weeks (and is non-cancellable, but I asked for a refund... another story).

Anyway, the 1985 also had the 2.8L v6, and the same radiator was essentially used for every later v6, so far as I can tell. Plastic, has two posts on the bottom and ears on the top, for bolting to the front steel. Some investigation, and I could get the front steel and radiator mounts for an 85-88 for $200 on LMC, and a replacement radiator for that vintage for $100-200 anywhere. I decided that was too smart and too much work for this project.

Old radiator: 2 row core for an automatic (oil cooler unused). New: single core for the manual, $160 from the local Advanced auto parts. The bottom outlet is shaped a little differently (straight out instead 45° in both free axes) and much shorter, so I needed to buy a longer radiator hose (just bought flex). Chopped off the plastic pegs from the bottom, and dropped it into the existing radiator mounts (photos when I get motivated). Fit is imperfect; it sits about 1" above the old height, and I had to remove some plastic clips holding the headlight cable harness along the front edge to clear the "ears" which I did not cut off (would be easy to do), but the filler neck does clear the hood, and the truck runs.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I did this also. On the bottom mounts, I made a cut in the brace on each side and bent it over flat. Then I took a conduit punch and punched a large hole in each flat area that lined up with the plastic pegs in the newer radiator. Since I have a 1986 parts truck, I took the rubber gromments and used them with the pegs to sit the radiator in place.

The top of the radiator lined up with the upper radiator support, so all I had to do is drill some holes in the support that lined up with holes in the aluminum radiator, and used a lag screw on each side to fasten the radiator to the upper core support. The stock 84 fan shroud still bolts in place to the 2.9 radiator if you want to use it, I went with a electric fan.

The lower radiator hose is a problem. The original radiator had a metal 90 elbow made onto it, the aluminum radiator like you said is straight. The later lower radiator hose will not fit, its made different for the 2.9. The only way I got it to fit was to use the 90 degree part on from the 2.9 hose, and the part toward the engine from the 2.8 hose, and splice them together with a piece of exhaust pipe. It has been working but is not the best. I do not like the universal rubber flex hoses, they put a lot of strain on the radiator fitting, and I have had them crack after awhile. What I am considering are the metal flex hoses they sell on Amazon, with the rubber end adapters. That is another problem with this setup, the later 2.9 radiator has a large lower outlet, but the lower inlet on the 2.8 is very small in comparison. Its difficult to find a hose that is that large on one end and that small on the other end. But this metal one on Amazon has rubber sleeves that you can choose to make it fit.

notecharlie

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
I assume you could get an 85 lower radiator hose to fit, since that still has the 2.8. Length may be borderline. Haven't tried. At the moment it's not leaking and I don't want to touch it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I didn't know the 85 had the more modern radiator. Now I can't decide if I would get that hose or the universal metal one.

$22 on ebay

$26 at my local Autozone, they have to order it

$15 + shipping Rockauto

$27 universal stainless hose.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
1985 RCLB 2.8 V6 A4LD

I got a new radiator for $160 (I think) from Onyx Enterprises in Cranbury NJ. The rad shipped from Pacific Best in Azusa CA. It's been great, so far. It does have the 45* lower hose nipple and uses the lower hose that @AndyB. posted a link to. It's single core with plastic side tanks but seems to have plenty of cooling capacity. I opted to use an electric fan kit instead of the water pump driven factory unit.

@franklin2 - Might you be able to use a metal fitting (45*) meant for a turbocharger? You might be able to find one with the same OD as the radiator nipple and use an appropriate piece of straight radiator hose and band clamps. You might be better off with the molded hose and it stresses the plastic side tanks less (as you well know). I think my hoses are Gates from RA.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I used flex hoses for my upper and lower hoses, I can not remember exactly what aluminum radiator I dropped in there, but, I noticed yesterday at night with the flashlight on it shining at the grill, I really could have done at least 1.5-2" wider on each side. If I ever go with A/C that might be a worth while upgrade.

notecharlie

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
1985 RCLB 2.8 V6 A4LD

I got a new radiator for $160 (I think) from Onyx Enterprises in Cranbury NJ. The rad shipped from Pacific Best in Azusa CA. It's been great, so far. It does have the 45* lower hose nipple and uses the lower hose that @AndyB. posted a link to. It's single core with plastic side tanks but seems to have plenty of cooling capacity. I opted to use an electric fan kit instead of the water pump driven factory unit.
The 45° outlet on the automatic radiator (with the oil cooler) is different from the straight-out on the manual radiator (and both are different from the 45° in the automatic *and* manual radiator on the 83/84).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals