• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1978 Mustang II Motor to 1985 Ranger 4x4

lajeepman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1985 Ranger 4x4 project that currently has a 2.8 motor in it. I have found a 1978 Mustang II 2.8 in really good shape with headers, performance cam, duraspark distributor and a non-feedback Motorcraft 2150 that came out of a kit car. I want to put the Mustang engine in the Ranger, but have searched long and hard for issues with this swap and have found very little info. I know that I will have to swap the oil pan, possible the timing gear cover and the bottom radiator hose inlet neck on the water pump. My concern is that the oil dipstick on the Mustang is in the timing gear cover and if I swap timing gear covers, I will not have a dipstick. Has anyone addressed this issue and if so how? I know all the issues with the 2.8, but I like the simplicity of this motor because it will be for my teenage son and I am teaching him how to work on vehicles. Thank you in advance for your comments.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I can help you; but, the tech section has a lot of info on that engine.

lajeepman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update

For those who are interested, I have made the following swaps so far in this swap:

The timing gear cover from the Ranger block has to be used because of clearance issues with the power steering gear. This includes using the bottom water inlet from the Ranger and the Ranger water pump. I do not see any issues with the bolt patterns.

The brackets for the Ranger alternator, power steering pump and A/C compressor will work. I will have to use the crankshaft pulley from the Ranger to ensure the belt pattern is the same.

Since the Mustang motor has a front sump oil pan, I will have to use the oil pan from the Ranger motor and also a modified Ranger oil pump tube. The Mustang motor does have a hole for the dipstick in the rear and it appears to have a freeze plug style plug that has to be removed.

I was hoping to use the headers off of the Mustang motor, but I am going to have clearance issues since my Ranger is a 4x4.

I will post any other issues I find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals