• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1978 F150

Rinny650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, now "Demon" 347
Transmission
Automatic
Im getting one that has a 351M and personally I hate those motors. I have a 460 in my shop thats bored and stroked to i believe a 545? Its 540 somethin. Anyway has anyone on here done that? What do I need to do as far as motor mounts to fit the 460 block? IIRC the trans has the wrong bellhousing bolt pattern doesnt it? Or would the trans bolt right up?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you are correct about the transmission. the bell is wrong. 460 motor mounts from an f-250 should do

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you are correct about the transmission. the bell is wrong. 460 motor mounts from an f-250 should do
351M/400 use a big block bolt pattern, same as the 460.

There are some oddballs in cars that use the smallblock boltpattern, but 97% don't.

Rinny650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, now "Demon" 347
Transmission
Automatic
I knew the FE family used the wierd bolt pattern but best I remembered the Modified motors used the 385 family bolt pattern.

What would have to be done to mount the 460? I want to have everything ready before I pull the 351. Where could i get some mounts that would allow it to bolt in?

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmm you hate a 351M, funny john kasse just won jegs engine masters with 2 so far

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmm you hate a 351M, funny john kasse just won jegs engine masters with 2 so far
For most mortal humans they are boat anchors, they really suffer from the half an inch of stroke Ford took away from the 400 to make them.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had one in my 79 bronco and an old 70's 1 ton no probs....

bradz71

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 BII
Transmission
Automatic
Trans will bolt up. You will need to get new motor mounts, and either van/car manifolds or headers. Check out L&L Products, they will have anything you will need.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you can use off the shelf parts. I had a 78 F150 that had a factory 460 in it. If you have a fully built motor, you should have headers on it anyway, so exhaust is solved...Any parts house that is worth their salt will be able to get you motor mounts that will work for you, if not, some wrecking yard pieces will work from any 73-79 F100/150-350. If your motor is built as big as you say, then i would suggest adding a high stall converter, something in a 2000ish rpm range to keep the motor in its power band, but its up to you depending on the trucks usages.

The common misconception is the need for specialty parts or "swap kits". Neither of these are needed, factory type parts are available through Dennis Carpenter, LMC Truck, and other sources. To be quite honest, a stock 460 is more than enough power for an F150, i drove one for two years, and never had problems with a lack of power...

Rinny650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, now "Demon" 347
Transmission
Automatic
Will any kind of longtube headers bolt up inside the framerails? Any kind i should specifically look for?

So I can get off the shelf OEM parts from like napa or something to swap the motor in? What would I ask for? 1968 F150 motor mounts for a 460?

Rinny650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, now "Demon" 347
Transmission
Automatic
As to what was said about the 351m, I have had no problems with the power output. Its the longevity of them I have problems with. I have been told that near the back of the block is a oil passage that isnt drilled all the way through on most motors and lets pistons 5 and 8 run dry

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
First off, Ford NEVER put a 460 in a 4x4 truck untill 82. They also never put it in a stick vehicle untill 82.

You can make the swap work using mostly factory parts though.

1. Trans- If the truck is an auto, then the trans will bolt right up and you can use your starter. It's a stick, you must be 100% sure of the year of your motor. 82-up motors are external balance pre 81 motors are internal. If you have an older motor, use a flywheel from a 360-390 motor but you must check the tooth count cause there are two different ones. If external balance you need to use a post 82 flywheel and then space the motor away from the bell because the flywheel is thicker due to the balance and hydro clutch. Another PITA is the pilot bushing, not all 460 cranks are drilled for a pilot because they were not used in a stick shift vehicle untill 82(external). It is a toss up if you got a drilled crank, most 73-81 motors seem to be drilled. Alot of pre 73 motors are not drilled. If so you must shorten the input on the trans and use a pilot busing from a 360-390 motor.

2. The exhaust-has to come from either a 79-older Ford truck that is 2wd with a factory 460, or a Ford van with a 460. It also could come from a 80-up truck with a 460. The driver manifold from a car will work but the pass requires notching the frame. L&L makes some very nice headers also but they run around $500 and up.

3. Oil pan- Unless this truck is skyhigh and has and aftermarket trac bar, you have to use and oil pan from a 80-up Ford truck or any van with 460. A 79-older 2wd pan and car pan will not work. The front sump pan rubs the track bar on a 1/2 ton and if the truck is not lifted, the front diff will smash the pan being there is only about 2" clearance.

4. Accessories- For a 1/2 ton your best bet would be to locate brakets for the steering and alt from either a 2wd 79 older truck or a 80-up truck. Some car brackets place the pump in the middle of the steering box and the van stuff usually uses a different style pump than most trucks did which may require new lines.

5. Mounts- This is never fun, there are no factory mounts from any thing that molts this motor into that truck with out modifcations. You can use mounts from some mid 70s fullsize cars if you drill out a rivet and weld a 1/2 bolt in its place and let it stick through and use it as a stud. Edlebrock makes swap mounts for this, but the best bet would be L&L mounts they work best and are around $175 and very worth it.

6. Cooling- if your motor is warmed over like yours is, you will also want to swap in a factory 4 core rad from a 73-79 that had the "heavy duty cooling" package. This thing is huge and hold almose 5gal of coolant it will deffinatly help out. Try to find a good used one, being a new one is over $600.

You could always take the easy way out and buy the whole L&L kit and just bolt everything in instead of spending hours hunting parts.

I've done this swap a few times. LOL Hope this helps
Here is what mine looks like. Sorry no motor pics but I could get some if needed.
79 F250. 79 truck 460, np435, 351 Bellhousing, 390 Flywheel, L&L mounts, L&L fenderwell headers. 4 core rad. I've still got the front sump pan but its not a problem with all the lift.

Last edited:

Rinny650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, now "Demon" 347
Transmission
Automatic
The engine has a deep sump custom oil pan on it. The truck has about 4"s of lift so maybe the pan on the engine will work, I doubt it tho from the way you talk. Im planning on making headers at work and run them over the framerails and under the cab to in front the tires. If that doesnt go how I want then I will buy a set. Also you say that 80 and up manifolds will work I may have a line on some of those.

As for the Rad it will probably get moved to the back since I found that for this engine a Rad out of a Ford 5000 tractor cools it very nicely.

Oh yeah please post any pics you have of trucks you swapped the 460 into

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
I will try and get some pics when the weather is better here. Is your truck an auto or a stick?

Rinny650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, now "Demon" 347
Transmission
Automatic
I havent bought the truck yet. I totally forgot to ask what trans is in it. No idea. I will probably go for the 460 and a c6 I have in my shop with a 2800rpm stall. I think that will do better for me than a stick. I have an NP435 in my shop too so if its a stick i can make that work

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals