• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

166 degree warn hubs

RangerRough

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6.5"
Tire Size
35" KM3
hello community!

I checked the temperature of my new hubs when i was out today crawling around in a mixture of 4 low/high and my hubs were hot to the touch, so one side was 161 and the other was 166 degrees. I am running a 96 ranger 4x4 4.0 on 35's with the warn jeep hub swap. what is the normal temps on these hubs? I also checked the 2 axle/bearing retaining nuts, first one finger tight then the spacer/locker, and the second nut as tight as i could get it, i watched to make sure the first nut never spun when cranking down on the other. I also put a new bearing in the driver side packed with grease but i did not replace the race.... any ideas why they are so hot?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What was the outside temperature while you were out wheeling?

~160 degrees sounds fine to me, especially with what I'm assuming is probably 80-100 degree heat outdoors?

Your bearing locknut adjustment is not good, by the way. "Finger tight" is way too loose, especially with a new bearing. Follow the service manual process to a T for new bearings... used bearings, I tighten to snug with a ratchet and then back off 1/8 to 1/4 turn, spin the rotor, should get a small amount of resistance and zero lateral play

Thirdly, keep in mind that cheap parts store bearings and races are often a hair out of spec and a new bearing with a worn race is not a good combo. A new PAIR of SKF or Timken bearings and races is what's really needed to do it right.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And the bearings that come in new rotors are not top shelf stuff.

I put new Bendix rotors in my truck, all four races were crude Chinese junk... that were promptly used as drivers to drive in new Timkin bearing sets.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals