• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1354 e to m swap setback...

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well pulled my electronic shift case out and noticed one huge difference between it and the manual shift (aside from the shift style)

My question is, how hard/easy is it to replace the cardan style joint for the front driveshaft with the cv style?

-OR-

Should I just swap a cardan style driveshaft into my truck?
Which ranger shaft would fit best? Explorer?

Thanks guys :icon_thumby:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Chance my boy, get yourself a 95-97 Explorer front shaft...it'll bolt right up to your new tcase and your existing front axle.

The B&R yard in Eugene had TONS of those shafts that you want for what I assume would be a good price(less than $50). Was just there on Monday.

Last edited:

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Damn that was quick! I just posted the same thread on R/F

Alright I'll run down to the j/y

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I took an explorer front shaft, cut off the double cardan portion and made a single joint shaft on the exact same truck you have. Worked out great. Been running it for over a year. Cost me 0$ as I had it laying in the garage. Length was perfect after cutting off the double cardan portion and being that the shaft doesn't compress or compresses very little you need very little slip.

EDIT: Shaft was from a 91-94 explorer.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
^^AKA longer than whats needed on the IFS trucks.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
^^AKA longer than whats needed on the IFS trucks.
I guess I'm not understanding what you are meaning. Well yes it's longer. That's why you cut off the second joint. A double cardan shaft isn't needed on an IFS truck. It's sees no movement up and down, or slip.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yeah that may be an option if I can't find the right one down in the burg... but there are plenty of exploders in the yards and I doubt many people have pulled the front ds's out yet.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I guess I'm not understanding what you are meaning. Well yes it's longer. That's why you cut off the second joint. A double cardan shaft isn't needed on an IFS truck. It's sees no movement up and down, or slip.
Double cardon is needed if the truck has a Superlift or an RCD kit under it. Not only for the angle, but the transcrossmember almost requires it compared to a single joint(when lifted). The rear joints angle is changed alot compared to stock....double cardon is what superlift reccomends on their shaft, and if the OP runs it, he can also run that shaft, though modified, when he solid axles the truck. Or run a complete different shaft after a new trans x-member is installed.

I know it's not needed for a stock IFS truck, and I know IFS shafts are just...there, no moving other than rotational. Needs a slip to actually install it though.

Last edited:

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but his signature says nothing about a lifted truck. Stock, the driveshaft is damn near flat. It's just not necessary for a double cardan on a stock truck.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
We agree with eachother.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals